Everyone busy during the pandemic?

One Armed

I hope everyone is well. Many people hurting in the country.

I’ve been taking care of a couple projects the last few weeks.

I finally took my SGA to a new level. Ordered an 3”x8” contact wheel in 90a Duro hardness rubber. With it I’m using 89”long belts!

I found 6”x89” belts, made a belt splitter. I’ll also be making 2”x89” from now on as well

I also mounted a new motor on my mill. I stumbled across these and wasn’t sure at first, as these are actually designed for industrial sewing machines. Trust me! They are powerful! Ken & I talked about them. He also picked one up..before I did actually. These are actually variable speed DC brushless Servo motors. This is a 1hp. The low speed torque is unreal! I fabbed the mounting & made the belt drive from scratch.

Lastly, I’ve been using the new style platen with Granite contact surface, for a few months now. I’ve ground above hard steel against, and the Granite has barely any wear. The marks on the picture are just the shiny surface buffed to matte. But no difference in surface height...no scratches...no dishing.

nice upgrades.
do you have a link for that sewing machine motor? I'd like to look at it for a project.

nice upgrades.
do you have a link for that sewing machine motor? I'd like to look at it for a project.

Absolutely Tracy, I got this one, but there are many more. https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Mach...=brushless+servo+motor&qid=1586044225&sr=8-27

Like I said, mine is 750watts(1hp). Ken got his first after I showed him..he picked up a 550watt(3/4hp)

They are DC and adjusted via Hall effect switch. I used a long 1/4-20 screw with an aluminum knob mounted to push the spring loaded arm for speed control. That way my control mimics a POT, albeit a couple turns to full speed.

I have to say the low speed torque is quite impressive for such a small motor...really any size! I was able to bore a 25mm countersink in Aluminum at about 50rpm or less. It was unreal from a tiny Mini Mill.(which I’m now calling“The Miller Killer”!)

Oh yeah, the driveshaft is 15mm and uses a keyway & threaded end for a nut. I use Synchronous pulleys & timing belt from here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Timing-...4?pageci=22f7da16-87e1-4263-9acf-055c83511f0b

Back