"Fake" Cable Damascus

Diamond G Knives

Wanted to bounce an idea off of you guys to see if you think it will work.

I have quite a bit of 1095 and 01 drill rod. Ranging in size from 1/8" to 1/4". What would happen if you made a bundle from say 12" lenths of the drill rod, arc welded the ends then soaked, fluxed and started twisting, Then start working as you would regular cable damascus?
I understand that the "strands" would be larger than normal but would this be a bad thing??

Intrested in all comments!

God Bless
Mike

I wouldn't call it "fake" anything, unless you are drawing lines on the steel to look like damascus. If you are welding and fluxing and twisting all that, I'd say you get to name the pattern yourself...

Dan
Ive spoken to Delbert about this, and will wait for him to talk about it, but After I try a few and get the hang, I too will try his idea!! Im wondering what if any diffrence there would be in varying sizes of the same material rod vs all the same size? Im thinking I might get some more in smaller sizes just to fill in the voids as much as possible.

BRad, Im only calling it "fake" on the forums since it wont be "real" cable being used. Im sure Ill come up with a much more sales savy name for it LOL. In my mind Im seeing a pattern similar to tree bark camo possibly coming out of this if it isnt stretched too much.

God Bless
Mike

Back