Faster knife sanding?

This guy has a very cool sanding device,

....I think it is not a cool device....look at 18:45....the finish is actually sloppy and a mess.

there is no way speeding up hand sanding to a nice finish....if there is, its not done by hand.

So, 95% certain that it's 4140. Do I see a problem here? Not very much carbon.

Doug
I didn't really give it much though till now. It'a precision ground shafting. So the it could also be 1566 or maybe something else. Whatever it is I have a lot of it and it's made for some nice blades and tools. I aught to by a set of hardness testing files...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Best thing you can do to help with hand sanding is get really good at grinding. I’m not there yet but it is definitely the key to make hand sanding quick. Just got a disk grinder hopefully that will improve speed even more.

Best thing you can do to help with hand sanding is get really good at grinding. I’m not there yet but it is definitely the key to make hand sanding quick. Just got a disk grinder hopefully that will improve speed even more.
Right. My small belt grinder is taken apart right now and that's the one I use fine belts on. I waited to take it apart till I thought I was done with it for this knife.

Well, 4140 isn't particularly easy to abrade.
True. I'll try and find out what it really is. Like I said - I have a lot of it. A handheld X-ray spectrometer is available for the low, low, price of about $10,000... used on Ebay. Reckon I'll just ask the guy I the stuff from.

I saw this video on my own and went out and bought one - didn't work worth a shit for me.

So, my oscillating tool arrived and I tried it out. It works great so far! I took the smallest saw type blade and ground the teeth off and then ground it to the width of my shop roll sandpaper. I just taped a piece of sandpaper on and went to work. I sprayed WD40 on the blade for lubrication. I can't believe how nicely it sanded my blade.

If this continues to prove itself I will be using it a lot!

This guy has a very cool sanding device,

....I think it is not a cool device....look at 18:45....the finish is actually sloppy and a mess.

there is no way speeding up hand sanding to a nice finish....if there is, its not done by hand.

True, it looks messy if you just stop with the device and call it done. But if you use it for initial clean up and then hand sand it works great...

Back