Favorite sand paper?

NickWheeler

I thought this might be interesting.

I've used a lot of them, and three of my favorites are Mirka (bull dog brand), Norton Black Ice, and the RhynoWet Redline from SuperGrit.

So what about you guys, what do you like/use??? :)

For hand sanding right? Well here in back woods USA where they truck in sun light, about all I can find Is 3M wet or dry and sometimes Norton in a sleeve.

what ever either of these 2 places have on sale in A.O.
online industrial supply or abrasives 4 sale . I found a new place that sells the rhynowet but have not compared prices yet .

3M Imperial wet/dry. I've tried about them all, and that is what works best for me. I get them in bulk from an auto paint supply. I use Rem-Oil to keep things lubed. :D

3-M Wet/Dry for me (280-400-600-800-1000-15000-200 grit) I use Windex to keep everything clean and clear.

However, I had Rade Hawkins turn me on to Norton 3X. It is a dry sanding paper and I only use it in 220 and 400 grit.

I use it mainly on handle work, but I have found that the 220 grit really cuts (doesn't last long) when I am doing the initial hand sand on some of those "bugger-to-sand" steels like S-30V. Once I have the vertical belt sanding lines out, then I go to my 3-M.

Robert

I like the Rhynowet. Cuts really well, keeps cutting for a long time, and I get it 20 minutes from the house at Supergrit. I use cutting lube for the bulk of the sanding and Windex on the last passes.

-d

I don't think it makes one bit of difference.
I think it matters most HOW you use the one in your hand.
I think the biggest mistake most people make is to try to get more work out of a piece of paper than it will provide.
After just a few strokes - toss it.
You're better off with a new piece.
I buy the cheapest stuff I can find on *----*.
Sandpaper was once one of my costliest items, and is now almost insignificant.
Spend more time getting good on the grinder, and you'll have your blades 100% done in a few minutes.
I literally had a 10" Bowie, a 6" hunter and a 4" EDC completely done - I mean 100% flawless 220 for heat treat - with less than 2 sheets of 220 - the cheap stuff.
I did that last year and still have the paper pieces that I used on those three knives to show to whoever did not believe it.

Last edited:
Back