Ferric Chloride supplier and Types, question

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs!
Just wanted to ask a quick question, I'm in need of getting some ferric chloride for my newest project, Damascus!! I have used the PCB Etchant from radio Shack for all my hamons so far, but for Damascus I will need something a little stronger and much more economical. Buying enough of that stuff will put me in the poor house.....did I mention I'm going to buid an etching tank...that was info yall needed. Anyway, I have been doing some shopping, I have found it in several forms, one called Iron III, one that is in a powder called Ferric Chloride Anhydrous, another in Crystal form, Ferric Chloride Crystals, there are probably a couple more I found but can't remember the names of them. Duh! It was in liquid form, with a couple different concentrations.

Here's my question, which type do you all use and if there is a good reason for using that particular form, cost is important As is, the results, I think the powder and crystal form of it apeals to me the most, but I have no idea what the mix ratio is supposed to be, so I don't know if it is a good deal or not. The liquid seems like it could evaporate or be spilled, which is kinda dangerous, if it hits the right parts. I have heard of makers using the crystal about 3 years ago, but I don't know the mix ratio with it either.Also, where do you get it from, a local <chain store> place would be good, if it's possible. If liquid is what you use, please include the concentration rate. Thanks Dawgs, for EVERYTHING!!!! Rex

Back