File sharpening

Bruce McLeish

Some of you folks know that my knives are filed by hand. Naturally, they get dull pretty fast. Like any other tool, sharp is good and dull is nasty. There is a company called "Boggs Tool Sharpening" that I just gave a try with some seriously nasty, dull, rusted files. Sent them off to them, and in one week I received them today. Let me tell you, I am amazed at what I got back. These files are sharper than any new files that I have ever used.
I'm recommending this company very highly. Oh, BTW, they charge by the inch !
It's like $.22 per inch, so my 10 inch mill bastard file (USA Nicholson) cost an entire $2.20 ! Unbelievable. 13 different files cost a total of $18 or so. check them out.
Bruce

I've purchased products from Boggs in the past, and have also had them resharpen. Good folks to deal with.

I used to be a Nicholson fanatic, and wouldn't purchase any other brand of file.... but unfortunately, they moved manufacturing outside the US, deleted their warranty....... then jacked up prices.

When it comes to most things, I'm as much about buying USA as anyone..... but when I can't get a tool that will hold up, with no warranty, versus one from the "orange store" that has a lifetime warranty...... as a business.... it's simple economics... Just sayin.

Last edited:
This has me wondering, I know the Home Depot file are lifetime but I wonder if Mr Boggs sharpens those type of files or if they even can be. I’d also like to see a list or hear from him what file brands he thinks perform the best before giving up the ghost.

Unless we are talking two different entities, The Boggs that I dealt with is a BIG outfit, or they go to lengths to make you believe so. They were personable enough, and very customer service oriented, but certainly not a one man outfit.

https://boggstool.com/

Unless we are talking two different entities, The Boggs that I dealt with is a BIG outfit, or they go to lengths to make you believe so. They were personable enough, and very customer service oriented, but certainly not a one man outfit.

https://boggstool.com/
This Boggs is a small (five people or so. I mean when you call , you can actually talk to the owner, Harry Boggs)

Hey Bruce.... is the one you dealt with the same as the link I posted?? I'm just trying to find if we're dealing with the same entity. ;)

Back