Fillet knives

Gliden07

What kind of Hi Carbon should I use for Fillet knives?? I had a request for 3. Also he wants me to use Cypress Wood do I need to stabilize it??

What kind of Hi Carbon should I use for Fillet knives?? I had a request for 3. Also he wants me to use Cypress Wood do I need to stabilize it??
You might want to look into some stainless steels. A high carbon will rust before you can get it out of the tacklebox. I’m working on one in AEB-L but it’s a personal project and I have a few orders to get out before I can play with it.

I have made fillet knives from 15N20 and I was pleased with the results. If I remember correctly Boss Dawg recommended it to me. I made one for myself as well from 15N20 and I keep car wax on the blade so there is no rust. Been maybe two or three years ago still no rust.

I've also made some filets out of 15n20, but most of the ones I've made are AEB-L. Whenever I need some stainless heat treated I get with another local knife maker that uses a lot and we send them off in a big batch and split the cost

Customer wants SS so I believe I'm gonna try the AEB-L. Im gonna need a heat treating service. I'm on the East Coast in Western Mass. Can anyone recommend a place that I can contact. Any idea on cost im gonna have 3 to do?

Another suggestion - I have used 440c. I like it. My kind of steel. Cheap and abundant. Pretty easy to figure out and use. Although hand sanding is a really big pain. Stainless gets so much harder than carbon.

Back