Finally finished one.

I have been experimenting with different methods of getting the flipping action just right. At this point, I found what seems to be the best method for me. I set the ball .010 higher than the washer is thick. For a .020 washer, the ball is exposed .030. I then stone a flat spot on the ball until .020 is exposed. This seems to work the best for me. You need to make small adjustments as each knife has it's own challenges. It's a fine balance between between the detent and lock bar pressure. I used this method on a knife and it was so tight, I could not even open it. I had to set the ball a bit deeper and then stone it to the correct height. It fires like a rocket!!! I also found that a shorter lock bar will eliminate 99.9% of the vertical flex.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I bought a set of the Gesswein Die Maker stones. SKU 405-2060. Great investment! I use them all the time.

My fist flipper. This one will remain in my pocket. It does not open with authority like it should. I need to work on detent placements and hole sizes. Great learning experience. Any tips on proper detent geometry to make this thing snap??
Thanks
Hello i also have started making liner locks and the detent conversation is interesting. But i missed the post of the size drill to used.
I have struggled with this operation and was looking for some guide.
I am using .0625 dia. So i have been using a .0595 drill and pressing the ball using a .020 shim.
Any thoughts.

Back