Finally finished the Colt .22 restoration

Justin,
In the photos in Imgur I see a crack in the stock and the clamps that seem to indicate that you had glued it somehow. Do you mind sharing the details of that process? I have a Mossberg .22 with a similar crack that I would like to remedy.

Justin I gave my son a single shot Cricket when he was like seven or eight...could have been 10. The point is he was in heaven. That thing wayyyyyy outclasses a cricket. The cricket is now my truck gun indicating it is expendable. I doubt he will ever part with that treasure you did an awesome job and saved a gun in the process. Win/win.

When I was six dad had bought a used Win. .22 (model 69) and reshaped the stock and re-blued the action/barrel. Still have it...I felt like a man that Christmas.

Your WIP brought back a lot of memories!

Nice job!

Funny how a thing like a gun or knife that is past on can bring back some memories. I hope once he gets some time with it we can go plink a squirrel or rabbit.

Justin,
In the photos in Imgur I see a crack in the stock and the clamps that seem to indicate that you had glued it somehow. Do you mind sharing the details of that process? I have a Mossberg .22 with a similar crack that I would like to remedy.

Not at all. I did what ol Larry Potterfield did from MidWay. I cleaned the wood up really good then poured the gorilla glue in the crack then slightly opened the crack up to wick the glue down into it being carefully not to pry to much and split it further then clamped with light pressure.
Here is a video from Midway.

Justin I gave my son a single shot Cricket when he was like seven or eight...could have been 10. The point is he was in heaven. That thing wayyyyyy outclasses a cricket. The cricket is now my truck gun indicating it is expendable. I doubt he will ever part with that treasure you did an awesome job and saved a gun in the process. Win/win.
Thanks Chris, I know right now it means more to me then it does to him but when he gets older I know he will look back at that gun and think of me long after I'm gone.

Not at all. I did what ol Larry Potterfield did from MidWay. I cleaned the wood up really good then poured the gorilla glue in the crack then slightly opened the crack up to wick the glue down into it being carefully not to pry to much and split it further then clamped with light pressure.
Here is a video from Midway.
Thanks Justin, I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Larry Potterfield’s Midway USA gunsmithing videos are a treasure trove. I’ve learned so much following those over the years.

He will treasure the rifle and the memories it will bring back to him. I know from personal experience (as I am sure many do), and sorely miss hunting with my dad.

I do quite a bit of stockwork both making stocks from the blank and some repair work and know what it takes to do the type of repair and refurbish that you have done to make this little rifle look that good. You should be as proud of that as your son will be as he grows to understand what you have done for him.

Back