finish grinding with files and bench grinder

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
My at home personal intro to forging produced these two blades out of about 7 or 8. Max potential of the steel probably not realized but hopefully usable. All of it is good experience for now. I had no background in metal before this but I've known I needed to learn it for awhile. Knifemaking has aided that, greatly.

Anyway, any tips on doing it this way - kind of bare bones with a bench grinder and files?
I have lots of uneven spots on the bevels and plunge lines aren't pronounced.

I know my file guide will even the bevels nicely but right now they're hollow ground on the bench grinder. I don't really want to loose that and end up with a flat ground blade unless I need to.

I also plan to build a file guide for the shoulders and prepare the blade for a guard. My only idea on that is make it out of hardwood and attach hacksaw blades in place of carbides.

I have a file guide I made out of steel with carbide epoxied to it that I have used to make a few knives. It's not perfect, but worked to get square shoulders. I have since bit the bullet and bought a Bruce Bump file guide. If your interested in my home made one, message me your address and you can have it.

I have a file guide I made out of steel with carbide epoxied to it that I have used to make a few knives. It's not perfect, but worked to get square shoulders. I have since bit the bullet and bought a Bruce Bump file guide. If your interested in my home made one, message me your address and you can have it.

Sounds good. It'll save me time until I can get one of Bruce's, too. I can work something out for exchange.

Back