Finished building grinder (New video @ bottom of thread))

One Armed

Took me a bit longer than I anticipated, but I am slower than most on things. LOL! Seriously, it was so much fun. Ken & I were talking, as we both love building things. He has been a trusted source to bounce ideas from when I was second guessing. Thanks Ken!

Materials in. Used a combination of 1018 cold roll, and billet aluminum, most of which being 2024-t3(my favorite flavor).

I designed this with plans in my minds eye. This was the start. It's a cast iron housing from an old HF 4x36, if you can believe it. I am a pack rat, as most home builders are, and NEVER throw out big chunks of iron, steel......pretty much anything! I then drill 5ninline holes and mounted this 7/8"x5"x12" 1018 steel plate. I wanted the grinder to have a solid base with considerable mass!

My mini mill was invaluable throughout this build! Before I had the mill, I was planning a build with tube steel. And nothing wrong with. Tube steel grinders are great! But having the ability to machine steel & aluminum billet bar stock takes things to the next level.

And of course keeping my fluids up with all this "hard work"! Keeping a supply of Yuengling Lager- America's oldest, (and best) brewery. I am sorry to those left wanting of the pleasure. LOL!

I spent time really designing in the small details of this build. I used roller & thrust bearings in the tension arm riser pivot .

And the tracking stem I am very proud of. Uses both the standard hinge adjustment, and also the slotted attachment point, to "cant" the wheel.

I also went with a 12" platen. Don't really see the need, as have my surface grinder, but I figured "why not?". Eventually I will also have a more compact platen.

Lastly, I debated with motor placement. Originally, I planned to use a hardwood board to bolt the grinder to, with the motor bolted down behind, but at the same surface level. Towards the end of the build, I realized I could utilize a plate bolted to the back of the cast iron base(to provide a level surface, square to the assembly).

And now I have a grinder to be proud of! It came out exactly as I wanted, & I could not be more pleased.

And with the SGA ready to go.

Oh yeah, the motor is a 1.5ho Dayton & it is run on a Lapond VFD. Also, some might wonder why I didn't make it horizontal. Because I did not want it to be. I converted my 1x30 to a 1x42 horizontal/vertical. And I don't run the SGA horizontal because I prefer it at the 45 degree. Look close; the 45 degree was carefully designed to work with the SGA-SPECIFICALLY!

And here is a crappy video. Was simply attempting to show how smooth & quiet this thing runs. Purrs like a kitten... But can also ROAR like a lion!!

Last edited:

KenH

That sure looks like a NICE running grinder. Good job on the grinder. Also, a good job on the photos. I do like the tracking system - I've put a similar one on my grinder. That video really shows just how smooth the grinder runs - you gonna ENJOY that grinder!

What's the story on the platen? I see it's nice thick at ends, but is thin in middle. That's got to be a repurposed piece of metal..... and I know you're as bad as I am looking to repurpose stuff.

ARCustomKnives

I just noticed the way you did you're tracking. I have recently modified mine very similarly after seeing the same kind of idea on the Reeder Products machine. It's definitely a game changer for reverse tracking on the odd attachments I have that won't track the same in the reverse direction as they do forward. It's a simple addition that adds that much more convenience and versatility.

One Armed

Ken, you are correct my friend! HAHAHAHAHA! Yes I do like to use things I just happen to have on hand. LOL!

Actually, the story of the platen is amusing. When I decided to go with a 12" long platen, I debated on what to get. It just so happened about this time, I was at my dads house. He had this electric Xylophone that he has had for many years. Apparently it hasn't worked for awhile and he just wanted to get rid of it. He asked if I wanted to salvage anything from it before he threw it away. I took a look and immediately notice the keys are made from aluminum and are exactly 2" wide! The shape you are referring to, being thinner in the middle, is how they are shaped to achieve the individual notes.

I lined the surface with 1/8" mild steel plate temporarily. But I am looking at using a plate of Tungsten Carbide, permanently.

AR, I am going to put a handle on at some point. It's kind of a waste for me anyway. I can't press the arm down and swap the belt with ONE HAND! LOL! I have to maneuver awkwardly, and end up pressing down with my under arm, and then maneuver the belt on/off.

KenH

Xylophone! That's right, now I remember you talking about it before, perhaps in emails? I did not realize how they got the different tones, but by varying the thickness.

One Armed

Hey guys. Wanted to go over this quick. If anyone is looking for a very trick way to attach a work surface table, look into something like this.
[Imgur]( )

[Imgur]( )

It's a bracket with an adjustable clamping lever. I absolutely LOVE IT! So glad I went this route instead of just bolting it on!

[Imgur]( )

And in case the initial pics didn't grasp just how insanely AWESOME this thing is....... [Imgur]( )

To me, this picture is unreal! Your results may vary.

I

C Craft

Hey looks like you got a winner! The tracking adjustment is something that should be standard on all builds. I went back after a few uses and built it into mine. However the canter adjustment is not easy to adjust. Maybe someday I will rebuild that as well!

Now I even appreciate the offer you made to help me out, but had already gone the other way, and put it on order! You do good work!!

One Armed

Thank you my friends.

C Craft, that's ok. I know it seems a little weird when someone offers something out of the blue! I have had a couple very serious life changing events. At times things became extremely grim. But The Lord was always there to keep me going. And many people showed kindness and generosity which I can never repay. Less serious but just as generous, I have met several people online which have reached out to help me. Showing me trust compassion. Like Ken right here. Him & I became friends online, and a few months later he's turning me a small drive wheel for my horizontal grinder. I have been blessed with kindness as this over & over.

Because of, I want to extend the same giving hand to my fellow knife makers.

Thank you again for the compliment C Craft, and don't hesitate to ever reach out for any future help I can offer like this.