Finishing Micarta handles

Don McNeil

Hey guys I just did my first knife with Micarta handles. What are you guys using to finish Micarta with? I sanded out to a 320 grit and I couldn't seem to to get the colors to come out in it. It seemed to show better with only the 120 grit paper but I thought if felt too rough.

Help!!!

Don

I use G10 more than micarta, but this should work on either...
If you rub some wd-40 on the handle, the color should come back. You can also use a little synthetic motor oil on a rag. It won't take much.. just be sure to wipe it off thoroughly. I get good results doing this after media blasting too.

Micarta or G10 left "as finished" will get stained and discolored (light/dark) from handling and usage. My solution has been to put a light coat of Tru-oil on the handle, then immediately dry it off with a lint free rag or one of the blue "shop" paper towel. This works especially well with about a 220 grit finish, or even better with a light bead blasting. Once the Tru-Oil is applied/wiped off, I stab the knife into a block of foam on the bench and leave it set for at least 2 hours to dry. Prior to sending the knife out I carefully check to ensure there is no Tru-oil where I don't want it...if there is any clean up to do, I use a Q-Tip and acetone. Once the Tru-Oil is dry on the micarta/G10 the only way to remove it is with acetone or similar solvents.

Thanks for the replies guys. Murph it is green Canvas Micarta from USA. I wondered about using something like tru oil. I use that a lot on gunstocks so I always have some on hand. Thanks again.

I always do as Mark does and spray some WD-40 on to clean the crud out and lift the colour. I never really thought about the longer term plan for colour before though.

I walk through my grits to 800 grit and then polish. This really brings out the color. For a little veriation I take it to 1500 grit for a satin finish without polishing it. The picture of the tactical is green linen micarta hand rubbed to 1500 grit. The 3 finger skinner is maroon linen micarta polished. I have never used oils and such on my micarta to bring out the color. ( although it works) If you want the color..... just add a little more elbow greese and your color will pop right out at you.

If you are worried about loosing your grip...don't. I have a filet knife with polished black linen micarta that you can easily hold on to even full of catfish slime. You can polish the resin but the linen will still poke it feelers out so you can keep a hold on your knife.

Attachments

• IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
If a handle is shaped well grip is not a problem. I sand my satin finished blade handles to 600 grit, the mirror finish knives I sand to a fine scotchbrite and buff.

I can't tell a grip difference between satin finish and polished.

I finish mine at either 320 or 400 grit just depending on how grippy I want it. Then I run it under my buffer loaded with 600 grit greaseless compound for a second or two. Then I wipe it down with a cotton cloth and some WD-40.
-John

Back