finishing tubing

Brett Long

i want to bevel the inside of my thong hole tube. so i bought a countersink from lowes but it left chatter marks on the inside where i was trying to make a smooth bevel. what should i use to get a clean looking bevel in the tube and where can i get it..

thanks

Have you considered if you are going too fast with it.
Most of the countersink´s are NOT meant for high RPM´s.
Something like 100 rpm´s is ok to do but higher will only cause you trouble.

JJS might have the answer, but, it could also be a bunk countersink. Some of the cheaper ones can chatter pretty bad, running slow or fast.

Is it a multi-fluted CS or a single fluted ?

Generally, for larger holes, I prefer a single fluted CS.

For my lanyard tubes though I have a couple of good quality 3/8" (major diameter) multi-fluted CS's that have been working really nice for me. I use them in a DeWalt VS rechargeable drill, running fairly slow, and they cut a very clean countersink.

After CS 'ing I have an 1/8" brass split pin that I run in a #30 Foredom handpiece. I slip a strip of 320 grit SC paper into the pin, roll the strip around it, insert it into my lanyard tube and polish the ID.

First the CS, then the ID polish makes for a nicely finished lanyard tube.

2thumbs

The problem with chatter is, once it starts, it is really hard to get rid of it. Using a different cutter with a different flute spacing helps, but short of that, here is a tip that works in a pinch:

Pack the flutes with grease, wrap the counter sink in a small square of a rag coated with grease, and with the slowest RPM you have, and a lot of pressure, go after that hole one more time.

Great tips Fellas ! I've removed the bulk with a round needle file then refined and polished with 1/8" strips of sand paper through the hole with shoe shine motions. It does take a few minutes but gives a nice rounded flare on the tubing. I think I'll be trying David's method next time around.

-Josh

I usually use these and with a good result.
If you can get the TiN coated you´re GTG..

Attachments

• 16C3339083T.jpg
    16C3339083T.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 24
thanks for the advice. where would be a good place to purchase a quality CS
online. and for polishing the inside of the tube i was using shoestring and valve lapping compound. it takes awhile but not bad results. i would like to get or at least look at that 1/8 split pin, seems a bit easyer

Wouldn't it be easier to use a round or tapered stone to deburr the inside of a thong tube? I have used it and it works really well. Just get one the appropriate size. I use mine in the drill press. Most thong tubing is pretty soft stuff.

Paul

If anyone uses a dremel/proxxon or other piece of similar machinery the simplest way to polish the inside of a thong tube is using a mandrel with some 220/400 grit paper in it.

195-1-2.jpg

i found this on my favorite web site. will this work? also just bought a dremmel tool. going to use one of the arbors and wrap paper around it to clean the inside. thanks for the ideas. i feel a little one sided here. i am taking all of your guys knowledge and giving nothing back. but i will try and contribute somthing back some how.. need you car fixed?:D

I use center drill or sometimes called spoting bits. for that and it works ok I guess.
and to polish I use Cratex and a dremmil or pinvise hand tool.

Back