First grind on Disc

Gliden07

Well I did my first grind on my Disc Grinder. Came ot ok I polished it up to 1K on the paper so I could see if there was any problems. Of course there was! Lots of radial scratches in the blade because I didn't spend enough time on a certain grit. Plus I used cheap HF paper, need to get some good Rhino-Wet and a spray bottle with water and a drop or 2 of dish soap. But beyond that the disc flattened the grind beautifully! Very happy with the way it works! Once I figure out the grit progression, get good paper and a little practice this thing will be a great addition to my little shop!

20200124_213911.jpg

You cant see it in picture but there are a lot of scratches on the blade. Just need to work on it!!

On a disc grinder, uniform grit size is everything. The paper is in solid contact with the bevel, whereas on a belt grinder the belt does float a little bit unless you are jamming the blade into it hard. Rhynowet is amazing, especially on a disc.

Again, one HUGE watch-out on a disc is that you can not allow yourself to ride the edge of the disc. That will literally cut deep spirals in your blade. You have to be very conscious to apply the pressure with the hand closest to the inside of the disc, and let the outside hand *gently* control the side to side without pushing at all. I actually ended up running my disc and taking a file to the edge to radius the corner more than it was. I was literally cutting grooves in my bevels to the point where I had to back up and regrind the bevels because no amount of hand sanding was going to remove the grooves. That helped me a ton. Nowadays my technique is better, but I'm still glad I radiused that corner off. I have no need for it. I don't use my disc to get into the plunges.

I use AEBL almost exclusively, and for me, Rhynowet 320 grit is like a magical spot. 320 cuts great and also leaves a beautiful finish. 120 will remove metal like crazy. 220 will too, but also leaves a fairly nice finish. So it depends on what I'm using the disc for. If I'm just cleaning up a bevel, or flattening a blank, I can pretty much start at 320. If i go below 320 on the disc then I am fully intending to remove metal as fast as possible.

320 and 600 are my disc go-to grits 99% of the time. Clean often with the rubber belt cleaner.

On a disc grinder, uniform grit size is everything. The paper is in solid contact with the bevel, whereas on a belt grinder the belt does float a little bit unless you are jamming the blade into it hard. Rhynowet is amazing, especially on a disc.

Again, one HUGE watch-out on a disc is that you can not allow yourself to ride the edge of the disc. That will literally cut deep spirals in your blade. You have to be very conscious to apply the pressure with the hand closest to the inside of the disc, and let the outside hand *gently* control the side to side without pushing at all. I actually ended up running my disc and taking a file to the edge to radius the corner more than it was. I was literally cutting grooves in my bevels to the point where I had to back up and regrind the bevels because no amount of hand sanding was going to remove the grooves. That helped me a ton. Nowadays my technique is better, but I'm still glad I radiused that corner off. I have no need for it. I don't use my disc to get into the plunges.

I use AEBL almost exclusively, and for me, Rhynowet 320 grit is like a magical spot. 320 cuts great and also leaves a beautiful finish. 120 will remove metal like crazy. 220 will too, but also leaves a fairly nice finish. So it depends on what I'm using the disc for. If I'm just cleaning up a bevel, or flattening a blank, I can pretty much start at 320. If i go below 320 on the disc then I am fully intending to remove metal as fast as possible.

320 and 600 are my disc go-to grits 99% of the time. Clean often with the rubber belt cleaner.

John thanks for the input! I bought a cleaning stick for the paper as you suggested. I never go this high in grits for anything. I knew though if I polished it it would show any and all flaws, which it did. Gonna put an order together for paper for it. Have a couple gooseneck LED lights coming for it. Just need to work on technique.

Back