First Hamon.....

bladegrinder

This is my first blade with a hamon, 1075 steel, black G10 bolsters, curly maple with nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.
this knife may have come out better because in the process of installing the handles the blade received a pretty nasty scratch so I had to refinish the blade back to 1500 grit and re-etch - with the handles on it.

im4lDcX.jpg

Thanks Justin, this knife was starting to be one of "those" knives, the ones from hell. :mad:
I never did a hamon so I brought this blade to 1500 twice and etched two separate times till I got where I liked it.
then after I had the handles on I saw a big scratch across the blade. I thought.....you've got to be kidding, now what.
but apparently ferric chloride doesn't affect polished G10 so I carefully sanded down the blade to 1500 again and re-etched it, I believe I lucked out on this one, looking forward to the next now. :D

Thanks Paul, and Chris...yea, in the case with this knife I had the handles on and thought I was done sanding, until I removed the blade covering and saw that scratch and thought....ALRIGHT!, I get to resand this blade at least one more time....:confused:

I had the tape on one of my blades pull a chunk of my Gun Kote off in the past. There is no way to fix that once your handle is done so I had to sand the rest off by hand to save the blade. I now have a three part cleaning process before I Gun Kote because I know there must have been oil left on the blade for the coating to fail like that..

Back