first knife show abroad - solingen knife makers show

lerman

Hi,

I'll be attending my first knife show abroad in May, this is a big deal for me and i'm working hard to be ready for the show, i would like to hear from your own experience preferably about this event specifically,
are there any points i should put emphsis on?

and also, are any of you going to the show?

thanks!

Lerman,
I am not going to this show and have never been in Germany, I have done many here in the USA and I am sure that most of the same protocols would apply.

Be personally and approachable in your manners with a smile and your arms at your side, Don't cross your arms for any reason because you are unconsciously telling people to stay away from you.

Be prepared to answer a million questions and be genuinely interested in your customers questions. I try to maintain a matter of fact, helpful attitude, but not to eager for a sale. I find a over eager salesperson to be on the annoying side.
Remember you are a professional knife maker as well as consultant. So I follow the old saying,
"You have two ears and one mouth so listen twice as much as you talk".

Be in dress you are comfortable in, I am a mostly a denim Jeans and nice shirt man so I shave, wear a nice clean pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt. If you are more comfortable in a Suit & tie? Wear that. I wore a suit every day for the better part of 20 years so I have had my fill of that. Also I try to get most of the grit out from under my finger nails and use Acetone to get any Epoxy off of my hands!:biggrin:

Have some sort of a flyer printed out along with biz cards so you can give one to those that are sincerely interested.

One of the most important things to remember is that just cause they don't buy that day? They may buy later? Also be willing to take orders for those that want this blade with another kind of handle and that sort of thing.

If it's slow I try to stay busy by cleaning and buffing up my inventory instead of just sitting there. People are always interested in what I am doing?

I hope that one or two of these points will help you on your personal presentation.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Lee, I have done that show many times and love the place, held at the Deutche Klingen Museum it is beautiful and historical to say the least, great gasthause right out the back that has great food and bier.

It is different than any show you have ever attended in the states, bar none. It is more of a fine wine, champaign type affair and there will be lots of customers. Being new, they will check you out and look your knives over closely.

Learn a few phrases: Gross Gott or Guten Tage, Bitte Nahmen zie, Das Stahl ist: Das Griffe Material ist: and Danke. It goes a long way.

Great Bunch of folks there and you will love it I'm shore. Any questions I can answer for ya, just give me a yell.

John I. Shore

Be personally and approachable in your manners with a smile and your arms at your side, Don't cross your arms for any reason because you are unconsciously telling people to stay away from you.

Be prepared to answer a million questions and be genuinely interested in your customers questions. I try to maintain a matter of fact, helpful attitude, but not to eager for a sale. I find a over eager salesperson to be on the annoying side.
Remember you are a professional knife maker as well as consultant. So I follow the old saying,
"You have two ears and one mouth so listen twice as much as you talk".

Be in dress you are comfortable in, I am a mostly a denim Jeans and nice shirt man so I shave, wear a nice clean pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt. If you are more comfortable in a Suit & tie? Wear that. I wore a suit every day for the better part of 20 years so I have had my fill of that. Also I try to get most of the grit out from under my finger nails and use Acetone to get any Epoxy off of my hands!:biggrin:

Have some sort of a flyer printed out along with biz cards so you can give one to those that are sincerely interested.

One of the most important things to remember is that just cause they don't buy that day? They may buy later? Also be willing to take orders for those that want this blade with another kind of handle and that sort of thing.

If it's slow I try to stay busy by cleaning and buffing up my inventory instead of just sitting there. People are always interested in what I am doing?

I hope that one or two of these points will help you on your personal presentation.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

thanks Laurence, it all sounds very reasonable, and actually it's exectly what i'v done so far in all the local shows i'v been to, it's very natural for me as i genuinely like to talk about knives, one thing i don't think i could ever do is to clean all the dirt from my hands :biggrin:

Lee, I have done that show many times and love the place, held at the Deutche Klingen Museum it is beautiful and historical to say the least, great gasthause right out the back that has great food and bier.

It is different than any show you have ever attended in the states, bar none. It is more of a fine wine, champaign type affair and there will be lots of customers. Being new, they will check you out and look your knives over closely.

Learn a few phrases: Gross Gott or Guten Tage, Bitte Nahmen zie, Das Stahl ist: Das Griffe Material ist: and Danke. It goes a long way.

Great Bunch of folks there and you will love it I'm shore. Any questions I can answer for ya, just give me a yell.

John I. Shore

thanks John, you made me even more excited about the show, it sounds like an amazing event, will you be there this year?

and by the way, i'm from israel so i haven't been to shows in the states as well :)

Last edited:
Hi Lee, I won't be there this year….I was a voting member of the DMG for many years but with the economic strain I had to drop out. Yeah, noticed after I made the post last time that you were from Israel, but you'll have a wonderful show and meet many great makers and customers there anyway. Be sure to take a pocket full of money with you…..lots of supplies will be available as well. I wish you the best for the show, and give my regards to everyone. Take lots of pics and post some when you get back…..

John I.

Back