first knife

Brett Long

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

this is my first attempt at a flat grind with my new no weld grinder. please give it a look over don't pull any punches lay it all out. i need you guys to tell me what i am doing wrong or right. probably not to much right. and what i should to to fix it.

thanks. so let it fly......unsure

Knife making is not just one knife and you are there?
It takes knife after knife after knife to become a good knife maker.
So do your best and than make some more. :)
Good luck.

Todd

Looks good and Mr. Davison nailed it. I think it's a never ending learning curve.

The knife looks good from what I can see. I am curious about the notch on the spine at the base of the blade. Does it have a purpose?

SDS

Looks good and Mr. Davison nailed it. I think it's a never ending learning curve.

The knife looks good from what I can see. I am curious about the notch on the spine at the base of the blade. Does it have a purpose?

SDS

I was curious about that notch also , looks like an easy way to peel off some thumb skin if not smoothed out .

I got an Idea , wrap the blade in a paper towel and let the mice pee on it , that seems to work well for a pattern etch huh1 :D

When the knife is finished , we will rip it apart for you if need be . Have fun .

Congrats on the new grinder!
Your grind looks good so far.
Its hard to tell with the dark pics though .

that notch is going to be filled in with a different metal. SS or bronze and my brothers initials on it. as for the etch if you could milk a couple of those mice let me know an i will give it a try.. and yes when it is done i would appreciate the look over and advice. good or bad. got to learn ya know

Damaged, great job on your first flat grind. With the notch there, it's hard to tell, but it looks as if you carried your flat up past the spine. That's something that is very common early on in flat grinding, and it takes practice to learn how to "sneak up" on the spine with your flat and get a nice transition from your plunge to spine. I do all my heavy grinding to get close to final dimensions, but I leave about a 1/4" or so between the top of the bevel and the spine. This allows me to creep up on it as I progress to higher grits.

Also, a common thing to do is to grind too hard at the edge of the platen. This happens especially at the plunge area, and you will get a gouge that carries up and through the spine. In order to avoid this, be aware of you pressures and how the sparks are coming off of the belt. Try and keep the sparks towards the middle of the belt. However, you also have to be aware of the dreaded 2" line if you linger too long with the plunge at the edge of the platen.

Great job! Keep it up.

--nathan

Back