Fisher 1893 Anvil

R

rdj94a

I have bought one, to go along with my new forge. Does anyone have any history on these things?Anvil1 (3).jpgAnvil1.jpgAnvil1 (2).jpg

there is a 12-6 on one end and a large 7 on one foot?

I don't have a "history" of the Fisher Norris anvils, but I own one. Mine is absent of all markings besides the weight marking, and it took me awhile to find out what it was. Finally stumbled upon a picture of an anvil with Fisher Norris markings present that looked almost identical to mine (yours has most of the same shape/style/features as mine). The 7 on the foot will designate the weight, Fisher Norris being American, means you multiply this by ten, so 70 lbs. I'm not sure what the 12-6 designates. Other info I can tell you is that the body is cast iron, with a steel face that has been thermite welded on. Most anvils with cast iron bodies aren't that great (Vulcan for example, or the modern "Chineese ASO"), however Fisher Norris are pretty good anvils. They don't really ring (can be beneficial in some cases), but have good rebound. If they are taken care of and not abused, they will perform great. I have noticed however, that under abuse (lots of cold working, etc), they do tend to run into some issues like edge chipping, some face delamination, and such. My anvil is one of those examples, not treated too kindly by a previous owner somewhere along the line. So I would say that they don't take as kindly to misuse as some of the other anvils, and aren't the absolute "Best" anvil out there, but they are still quite good. Congratulations and it should serve you well.

Thanks very much for the information, hammer rebounds well, as you say not much ring to it. I believe that it will serve me well, I paid 175 for it, compared to most prices I see didn't feel too bad.

Back