Fixing Belt Wobble

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
Fixing Belt Wobble
By Wayne Coe
Assuming your grinder has step pulleys:
1. I lay a straight edge from one pulley to the other and make sure they are in line, no light gap between the straight edge and the pulley anywhere.
2. Next I lay the straight edge on the side of the 8" wheel with no light anywhere and make sure that it lines up with the drive wheel. The drive wheel is about a half inch wider than the 2" contact wheel so allow a quarter inch overlap.
3. Then from the 8" wheel to the 2" wheel. No light showing.
4. Then the 8" wheel to the tracking wheel. Again allow the quarter inch overlap.
5. Then the drive wheel to the tracking wheel. These are the same width so there should be no overlap.
All of this should make sure that everything is in line and square.
Then if everything checks out check that the belt is tracking on the center of the drive wheel and tracking wheel. If this is not centered use washers to bring them in line.
Belt tension tight enough?
Check that the contact wheels are not worn. They should be flat across the contact area and square to the wheel.
If all that don't do it I would probably take the whole grinder apart, start all over and rebuild it.
If all that don't do it I give up.

Added by LR Adkins
After you check all of the mentioned and you still have problems check the drive shaft. Mine was not straight so I ordered the precision shaft from Tracy. That took care of my problem. Also check the bearings in the wheels, make sure they are tight and the wheels don't wobble. Good luck.

Back