Flap disks

Absinthe

Someone just gave me a pile of "benchmade abrasives" flap disks for the angle grinder. Said, he thought I might be able to use them for something. They are mixed grit. Are they worth messing with? I haven't even looked at my angle grinder, other than to move it out of the way since I started messing with the band saw and belt sanders and all this.

I suppose I should elaborate... :D

Flap wheels are AWESOME. They give a MUCH better surface finish than a hard stone. They aren't as aggressive, but still do a good job taking off material.

Give them a try.

I use them a lot, but I don't consider myself a "knife maker" - I just like working with metal in general. Lots of fabricobbling.

As far as knife making goes, they'd work well for getting the rough profile of a knife established before you switch to abrasive belts.

Am I best to secure the angle grinder and hold the piece, or clamp the piece and go at it with the angle grinder?

Did you say that they were FREE? Well, you have your answer as far as usefulness. :D
Not sure what you mean by that. I just seem to see most people doing stuff with belt grinders. Very little in the way of disk work, so I wasn't sure.

Back