Folder sheath

roughcountry

I'm pretty new to building blades, this is # 4 &5. Can't get what I used to buy for lock backs so I'm forced to try to build them. The whole reason for my love of the lockback started with a cowboy asking for a type of sheath. It needed to hold his favorite style of blade in a crossdraw on his left hip. Right close to your left pocket.

This is out of the way of a rope when you dally and still handy to get to if you need to cut a rope. I built one for myself after doing one for him. Didn't take me long to to get real used to packing my folder this way and feeling plumb neckid without it.

The folder has to have a slight swell up front to lock it in the sheath when you wet form the leather. You can very the angle to your taste or the blade. These are just a couple useing sheaths for using knives, nothing fancy.
Just thought someone else may want to try them out with there favorite folder. RS
002.jpg
sheaths2008.jpg

Thanks Leatherman. The scroll cutting works pretty good on these wet formed sheaths, I can put it on after forming it. I do that sometimes on the fixed blade sheaths where I wet form around the guard and handle area. Blade area stamped and top scroll cut.

Thanks Dave. I'm trying to get my folders close to the older lockbacks I used to build these sheaths for. Mine are still pretty clunky but with some good coaching they are getting better.

Thanks Scalphunter. I've got a long way to go when it comes to building blades, sheaths to, but sure enjoying the learning.

Doug, I live just back from the edge dropping off into the Walla Walla country. I like living in the flat stuff and play in the steep. Hells Canyon is about as steep as I want to tackle these days.

Hey Bruce, good to hear from you and thanks. I plan to get some tips from the other Bruce on what I need to clean up on these first chance I get. I already got some real good help from him on the lock.
Hope things are well with you. Robin

Hey mate,
Yeah that other Bruce doesnt do a bad job of knifemaking!!!! Are you going to try and get to the Boise show in Nov for a look??? Im busy finishing some stuff for a local show this weekend then will need to forge a few out and get them finished to bring over.
I will have to photograph a couple sheaths tonight i just finished with that double rope basketweave stamp i go from you. I like it. Have picked up some smaller ones on ebay as well.
Cheers Bruce

I'm glad you like the stamp Bruce, I use mine alot on saddles. Is that edger working Ok? I plan on taking pictures next time I make some tools so folks here can build a few. The talent around this outfit-- these guys could build better leather tools than are out there for sale.

I'd love to get to Boise but I'm sure my pack of hounds will be chasing cats then. They'd do it themselves but then who would feed them and listen to all that hound music. If the state starts me late or we don't get hunting weather I'll try to get over. Later, Robin

Back