folding steel questions

Vance C.

so i got a wild hair and wanted to fold some steel (old coil car springs) and couldnt get the metal to stick to its'self, i would heat it, put z-weld on it, heat it up again, then try to hammer it together, but it wasnt cooperating, does anyone have any suggestions or referrals to where i can find some information? thanks!

Well the fact you were using flux is a good sign. I am going to guess you were not hitting welding temps. I shoot for about 2250 degrees when I forge weld, which should be close to a white heat. Oh and my flux is bubbling wildly on my steel, BTW I use 20 mule team borax as flux and a pyrometer in my forge to gauge temps.
CW

I agree, don't be afraid of getting it too hot, I have but it takes a lot. At least a bright yellow color and flux boiling. Roy

alright cool, i turned my forge up, but i guess i didnt turn it up high enough. i shall try tomorrow and see how it goes!

a good book to get is a book called New Edge of the Anvil by Jack Andrews. has a couple pages on basic forge welding. best book i've seen out on the market lately... could be why it was recommened for my beginner's blacksmith class...

a lot of newbees hit the steel to hard when trying to weld lots of tapping the steel hard tapping fast from back to front then back side to front "left then right side" if you hit to hard it moves the steel tapping works for me .

George, lookes like a cool rig, but the prope seems awful short. Can you use any type K probe with that unit????
Just curious.

God Bless
Mike

Back