Food for thought as a knife maker

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
I'm generally not the type of person that gets inspired by inspirational quotes. They are everywhere and everyone has one. Every week one of the VP's at my company sends one out, I generally don't even read them. This week the quote made me think about the journey of knife making. We are all here trying to improve as we go along. Sometimes the feeling of having to start over makes us let things go that we shouldn't, not want to try new things out of fear of failure, or think that all the fancy equipment in the world will make us better. But in the end if we don't try we already failed. I've only made a little over 30 knives, with at least that many in a scrap bucket. Everyone was a learning experience that makes me want to push forward and improve. There is no magic bullet you just have to do it.

The quote,
Be an avid learner. Have a positive attitude. There is no magic wand, put in the work. Be passionate ....love what you are doing. There is a lesson in everything.... a learning moment. Surround yourself with quality individuals. Find those that are successful and be a sponge. Be who you are and enjoy those around you...enjoy the diversity. Be a competitor. Don’t do average. Live for the experience. Don’t sweat the little things. The only failure, is in not trying. Laugh as much as possible. Life is 10 percent of what happens to us, and 90 percent of how we deal with it. Where there is a will, there is a way. And remember...you truly are a miracle. Anything is possible

I'm generally not the type of person that gets inspired by inspirational quotes. They are everywhere and everyone has one. Every week one of the VP's at my company sends one out, I generally don't even read them. This week the quote made me think about the journey of knife making. We are all here trying to improve as we go along. Sometimes the feeling of having to start over makes us let things go that we shouldn't, not want to try new things out of fear of failure, or think that all the fancy equipment in the world will make us better. But in the end if we don't try we already failed. I've only made a little over 30 knives, with at least that many in a scrap bucket. Everyone was a learning experience that makes me want to push forward and improve. There is no magic bullet you just have to do it.

The quote,
Be an avid learner. Have a positive attitude. There is no magic wand, put in the work. Be passionate ....love what you are doing. There is a lesson in everything.... a learning moment. Surround yourself with quality individuals. Find those that are successful and be a sponge. Be who you are and enjoy those around you...enjoy the diversity. Be a competitor. Don’t do average. Live for the experience. Don’t sweat the little things. The only failure, is in not trying. Laugh as much as possible. Life is 10 percent of what happens to us, and 90 percent of how we deal with it. Where there is a will, there is a way. And remember...you truly are a miracle. Anything is possible
There are about 10 great keepers in that one quote.

The quote,
Did they give a credit to the author?

one of my favorite sayings from work was “if you think you don’t have time to do it right, there’s always time to do it twice”.

Back