For real this time, fluted damascus dagger...

Travis Fry

Updated pics: fluted damascus dagger...

I've been at this a while, but so far probably 99.5% of my knives have been hunters and other utility/EDC type blades because that's what sells. I've been trying to branch out recently to reclaim the craft for myself, and you could call this the first of a new era. It's time to make the knives that got me interested in this in the first place. There are Bowies and fighters and quite a bit of other stuff coming up, so stay tuned.

It's my first using my own damascus, my first dagger, and my first attempt at a fluted wire wrapped handle. Handle is Bolivian rosewood wrapped in argentium silver, with blued mild steel fittings. OAL is just over 10". Let me know what y'all think.

travis-fry-dagger-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! The intent for this knife was indeed to step up the game. I've been making simple but clean stuff for 6 years or so, and I realized that while I've made a lot of knives I'm proud of, I've not made too many that were remarkable or noteworthy. So that's my end of year/New Years resolution--to make knives that make a statement, to use higher end materials, and to push my skills in new directions.

I made the blade and the damascus over a year ago at a friend's shop while I was on a year long assignment in Canada. I'm not set up at my own Texas shop for that yet, so I worked hard to stockpile as much as possible from my time in the Frozen North. There will be more damascus blades forthcoming and one, at least, pretty soon. Anyway, I finally got this blade heat treated and finish ground within the last few weeks (I finally got my shop wired with 220V so I could run my kiln) and I just got a wood lathe, so the idea and elements kinda came together.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Quite impressive Mr. Fry. That is an admirable resolution you have set for yourself for the coming New Year. I wish good luck and much success to you along the way!!

Beautiful work Travis. Never tried fluted handles, looks difficult to say the least. Looking forward to seeing your work this coming year

Back