Foredom system engraving accessory

latticino

I did a quick search and didn't see any feedback on this type of system. Apparently it takes a rotary tool and allows use for simple power engraving. Something I'd like to experiment with, but not ready to plunk down the big money for a GRS system or the like. Anyone use one and have feedback?

Here is the link for the Lion Punch Forge unit in question: https://pepetools.com/products/lpf-adapter?variant=30723938222212

Please remove link if not allowed.

I engrave, have a complete GRS setup, with different hand pieces and a microscope. I also use both electric and air powered rotary tools in my shops...... I've not tried this specific adapter/tool, but have tried other, similar ones over the years, and I personally found them to be a waste of money. They barely do what they are described to do, and are never capable of what you expect.

Tool/bit size and shape are always the issue with these type tools. Always a chisel shape, and far too large for anything other then very large "engraving". If you watch the videos in the link you posted, the one with scrolls is on copper, which is very soft, and the scrolls that are being "cut" look horrible.... mostly due to the overly large tool/bit. Where I'm going with that is..... IF you have this type of tool, using the size bits it does, you WILL REQUIRE some type of precision shaper/sharpener for tool bits. Which means in addition, you're going to need something like the GRS Apex sharpener, which is over $1K. About now, you might be thinking..... "I can just sharpen by hand." Trust me, that dog doesn't hunt.

If it's engraving metals you're seeking to do, this tool will only allow for the most rudimentary, and will only allow you to do large "cuts", in large areas. I know it's not likely what you want to hear, but there is simply nothing out there that will even get you into the same ballpark of engraving as actual engraving tools. I suppose it you have $179 your willing to risk, you can give it a go, but based on my experiences.... it'll just disappoint.

Last edited:
I'd say that guy either needs more practice on the tool he's selling, because what he called engraving in that video is something other than what I'm used to seeing called engraving. frankly, I think his finished piece look like awful.

For not a whole lot more, you could get an NgraveR. Been around a long time and well known.

That said, it's still going to be clunky because it's off rotary.

My Lindsay Palmgraver may disagree with Ed that all others are wastes of money. :D That said, got nothing against GRS. Their whole setup sits right next to the Lindsay. Checked everything the other day: still working. Need a vac pump oil change, though, I'm certain.

Hoping my bad back can take sitting at the scope again; lotsa doors opened back up with 150 pounds gone. I cut a few lines the other day for grins. Looked great without the scope. LOL

I saw that carving on the new knives, Ed. I remember when you started that. Looking good!

PS Sharpening is everything in engraving. If you buy a power engraver, you need means to get a micron-level polish to cut bright or small and fine. That cost can add up quickly. Make sure and do your homework. Look at a GRS package to get an idea of their idea of the basic needs of the engraver's bench. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I guess I'll work on building some hand skills first. I've got an old German ball vise and a binocular scope (though I'm not sure if the latter will be effective for engraving, it certainly wasn't designed for it though it does have a bunch of height adjustment).

Well regarding the original tool, he did say in the video that he had no engraving skill. Wonder if a more talented person could do better, which is why I asked here...

Back