Forge positioning safety

Wiredude

I've got a few questions to ask that hopefully some of you that have some more experience can help me with.
I have concerns about where I can/should set up my coal forge.
I do most of my work either in my attached garage,(actually under the bedrooms) or in/on the driveway right outside it. This works reasonably well for most things, however, using the forge doesn't seem to be one of those.
I know I can't use a coal forge inside without a hood/chimney setup, and honestly I don't have any desire to try to install one in my house. I also really don't want a coal forge going right underneath my bedroom, just in general...
So, that pushes me out onto the driveway. While the driveway is concrete, and that's a good thing so far as safety, etc, the way that our house sits, it has constant sun exposure, pretty much from dawn till dusk, which makes seeing any color in the steel tricky at best, especially as a beginner.
I can get some shade if I move down toward the bottom end of the lawn, as there are trees that block the sun in the afternoon/evening. I'm concerned though, about the risk of stray sparks, etc. I have no neighbors to the rear, at the edge of my lawn the ground drops away into the top of a hollow. It's wooded, semi steep, and covered in enough brush that it's not really passable. The last thing I want is to end up setting the woods on fire.
Eventually I'd like to put a shed/shop down in the back of the yard, and then I can do a proper chimney, or maybe by then I'll build a propane forge.
Anyhow, any thoughts / advice?

Last edited:
When my guild, Shenandoah Valley Blacksmith Guild, does a demo we use a 10' square canopy and put the forge right in the middle. We have a piece of something right in the top to block the heat from going right up in the peak. They have been using it for years and it works well, and goves us the shade we need to see colors and makes it cooler for us. This would help until you get your shop built. Ed

Back