Forge problems

Kev

The bottom of my forge is being wrecked by of course borax among other failed attempts.

My question for the hive mind is this. Aside from replacing the block could I fill the bottom portion of the forge with kitty litter to help absorb the melted borax and curb the issue? Kitty litter is cheap and easy to replace, just shovel out and reapply.
Anyone see failure in my logic??

The bottom of my forge is being wrecked by of course borax among other failed attempts.

My question for the hive mind is this. Aside from replacing the block could I fill the bottom portion of the forge with kitty litter to help absorb the melted borax and curb the issue? Kitty litter is cheap and easy to replace, just shovel out and reapply.
Anyone see failure in my logic??
I think I temper a past post on using kitty litter for that issue. I can’t remove who but I believe it was a viable solution. Good luck.

I made a small SS tray to hold kitty litter for this purpose. Works well when I do cable and need to use Borax! I have a propane tank forge, so it's a rounded bottom tray to fit into my forge.

Back