Forged Feather Damascus Three Finger

opaul

I got a beautiful piece of feather damacus billet from forum member billyO. I decided to cut off a small piece and try forging up a small blade OAL is 6". I think the wood came from J. Doyle. This photo is with one coat of true oil. I forgot to put my makers mark on it :(.

That turned out great. Thanks for sharing pics and the mention. (btw, I think you can ignore the message I posted on the other forum now that I see this one....)
Stay safe

I've forgotten to do that many times. I can generally add it because of where I put mine but it's still a pain in the butt.

When I saw the dremel, my first thought was, "what needs carbidizing?" because last night on the NWBA Knifemaker's Corner, Luke Dellmyer demonstrated how he uses his etching unit and this dremel unit to carbidize his titanium liner lock on folders.

That's a nice looking knife opaul, a pantograph would be perfect to mark the butcap.
you might find a trophy shop that wold put your name there for a reasonable price.

I can get it computer laser engraved for $15. But I have to drive 40 min one way to get it done. And on this matter I read on another forum that it becomes a weak point in the steel. Personally I don’t believe it, I have had a few engraved that way and although it generates heat I didn’t see the steel change if colors.

Such a lovely smaller piece. I love what you did stretching the feather. Makes one imagine the knife in hand just from the foto.

Two questions, @opaul, if you would:
1) Is that oak? Or what? Nice wood. I want some. :)
2) Spacers. Are the red spacers fiber? Do you stabilize or treat them? Or is it G10?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any reply. Nice knife!

Last edited:
Such a lovely smaller piece. I love what you did stretching the feather. Makes one imagine the knife in hand just from the foto.

Two questions, @opaul, if you would:
1) Is that oak? Or what? Nice wood. I want some. :)
2) Spacers. Are the red spacers fiber? Do you stabilize or treat them? Or is it G10?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any reply. Nice knife!
Thank you. The spacers are G10. I like using the different colors in different thicknesses. Red, Ruby, Hunter green and black are the colors I use the most.
I believe the wood is Koa but not sure. It takes a beautiful finish.
I think the feather pattern came out nicely.

Thanks for the response. G10 has made nice stacks of spacers in a handle viable again without that concern about fiber size instabilities.I hate pulling out a knife in the collection and being able to catch every spacer with a nail. G10 looks really nice, and will stay that way.

Beautiful wood. Cool knife.

Back