Forged in Fire Knife Dogs

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Has anybody kept track of how many Knife Dogs have been on Forged in Fire? I know we’ve had quite a few. We’ve also had some champs too. I’m just curious. This is something to be proud of ... if there isn’t a list, maybe we can make one.

I suspect there have been a good number. I screen tested to be a judge over a year ago, but there were some contract issues that prevented me from doing it. I still get phone calls and emails a couple of times a month, asking if I want to be a contestant.

I suspect there have been a good number. I screen tested to be a judge over a year ago, but there were some contract issues that prevented me from doing it. I still get phone calls and emails a couple of times a month, asking if I want to be a contestant.
Mr Caffrey, I don't post much, but have followed your posts and I love your blades and would like to see you kick butt on the show.... DO IT!

I've seen at least one episode where they returned for "redemption", and one contestant stated that his business suffered greatly because of the show. The public only sees the rough blade you are able to make in 3 hours and thinks that sums up your talent. Then god forbid, your blade fails on TV, then your reputation is ruined from that one snapshot in time.

It looks fun and rewarding on the surface, but I suspect your future depends entirely on the producers editing.

I really think there should be at least 1 minutes where each contestants past work is shown so the audience will know the maker really has talent. This would prevent the audience from forming total judgement based only on the results of the show. That's only 4 minutes per episode, and I do think would be good for ratings.

Ken H>

That's a good idea, almost a profile of each contestant and why they were chosen.

That way the focus is on the time challenge and not the outcome of the rough blades they are able to make in such shot notice.

I like the show and will continue to watch it. As maker I do see the down fall to the show. Besides people thinking it only takes 3 hours to make a knife. I get asked to make a knife that will cut nails, chop firewood, and split bone on game animals. I politely point them to someone that makes hatchet's and axe's.

I really think there should be at least 1 minutes where each contestants past work is shown so the audience will know the maker really has talent. This would prevent the audience from forming total judgement based only on the results of the show. That's only 4 minutes per episode, and I do think would be good for ratings.

Ken H>
Last night's ultimate champion show started with 5 past winners and each brought a competition chopper they had made at home. And exactly like you'd suspect, all 5 were beautiful knives with excellent craftsmanship. It would be nice to see each one's specialty or go to knife they make to get a feel for what they attempt on the shoe.

The public only sees the rough blade you are able to make in 3 hours and thinks that sums up your talent. Then god forbid, your blade fails on TV, then your reputation is ruined from that one snapshot in time.

I know for a fact, that is one of the reasons many established/full time Bladesmiths won't go on the show as a contestant. The way I view it is..... there is a pretty random 1 in 4 chance of winning $10K, so that means there's a 75% chance that you won't "win"...... and right or wrong, I simply won't leave the fate of my reputation to a panel of judges where only one of them really knows anything about Bladesmithing.... the money doesn't even come into play for me. There are a number of other conditions that go along with being on the show, that are contained in a non-disclosure agreement that must be signed. Speaking only for myself, I took the time to read everything, and I simply wasn't willing to agree to many of the conditions set forth. Of course each individual must evaluate things for themselves, and their situation..... but for me, there was/is far more to loose by being on the show, then there is to be gained.

The show is a ton of fun, one of the most positive things I've ever done. It forces you to get out of your routine and challenges you to do things you would never think of doing. The rewards go for beyond the prize money or extra orders.

Here's the thing about the show, when established makers inter the show, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. When un-known makers compete, they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Anything can happen. If you want something to go wrong, point a camera at it. It takes real guts for an established guy to do that.

When the filming is all done, the competitors know the outcome but we don't know what will be on the show. Because it's a show, all or most of the mistakes we make go in it, it just makes for good TV. On the contrary, they don't have enough time to put in all the things that we got right. It's more exciting to the viewer to see the things that went wrong than it is to see what went right.

The show is not intended to find out who is the best knife maker, or show works of art being made. It's all about making good TV. If you enter, enter to have fun, be a good sport if you win and be a good sport if you lose.

I am pretty sure most viewers know your best knife is not going to be made in six hours, the ones that don't understand that, really don't matter.

The show is a ton of fun, one of the most positive things I've ever done. It forces you to get out of your routine and challenges you to do things you would never think of doing. The rewards go for beyond the prize money or extra orders.

Here's the thing about the show, when established makers inter the show, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. When un-known makers compete, they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Anything can happen. If you want something to go wrong, point a camera at it. It takes real guts for an established guy to do that.

When the filming is all done, the competitors know the outcome but we don't know what will be on the show. Because it's a show, all or most of the mistakes we make go in it, it just makes for good TV. On the contrary, they don't have enough time to put in all the things that we got right. It's more exciting to the viewer to see the things that went wrong than it is to see what went right.

The show is not intended to find out who is the best knife maker, or show works of art being made. It's all about making good TV. If you enter, enter to have fun, be a good sport if you win and be a good sport if you lose.

I am pretty sure most viewers know your best knife is not going to be made in six hours, the ones that don't understand that, really don't matter.

Well said Mark! You did a great job to. You might share the pictures you shared over on Bladeforums because I had no idea yours had a hidden dagger in it. My wife even said...asked why didnt they show that? when I showed her the pic from BF.

Here's some of what you didn't see on my episode.
20170426_182529-XL.jpg

20170426_182605-XL.jpg

20170426_182536-XL.jpg

20170426_182542-XL.jpg

I've seen at least one episode where they returned for "redemption", and one contestant stated that his business suffered greatly because of the show. The public only sees the rough blade you are able to make in 3 hours and thinks that sums up your talent. Then god forbid, your blade fails on TV, then your reputation is ruined from that one snapshot in time.

It looks fun and rewarding on the surface, but I suspect your future depends entirely on the producers editing.

I didn't think about the negatives I guess, I enjoy the heck out of it, I am NOT a bladesmith but someday soon hope to get into it, (made a few by stock removal) the last show they had 5 contestants who had to bring in blades they had already made and they were all beautiful, when they go through the challenges I noticed someone can go home by the judges decision because they didn't like the feel of the grip, or balance of the blade, those things are preferential, there have been contestants that didn't win that I would love to have a blade made by them, anyway, as a greenhorn what little I know, that 3 hours to forge a blade (quenching and all) is a major feat..... and I do know that.... I think most people who watch the show do....

Back