Forging A-2

Rudy Joly

I ran across a possible deal on 1" round A-2 locally.
I have never forged A-2 but can it be any different than the O-1 I bang on ? Thanks for any help.

Rudy

A-2 is air hardening steel so once you take it out of the forge it will start to harden as it cools. I think that you also have to forge it at higher temperatures.
Good luck.

Thanks George and Chuck.
I have all the info on hardening and heat treat, but what I was getting at was if there's something that would keep me from forging it. I'm trying a drop the guy has this weekend....only one way to find out.

Thanks,
Rudy

Ok, this information is from The Master Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas. Preheat to a dark red, which is around 1200 degrees, and soak for about five minutes to anneal and relieve stress. Then slowly bring the steel up to 2000 degrees before starting forging. That would be a yellow color. Do not forge under 1700 degrees, which would be about a bright reddish orange. After forging take back up to 2000 degrees and cool in a hot box to anneal. You could possibly close it up in the hot forge to anneal also. A2, because it is an air hardening steel cannot be normalized. It is also very red hard and moves slowly under the hammer.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug,
Movement under the hammer and rod diameter was what I was concerned about. I don't have any fancy shmancy presses or power hammers.......yet.

Thanks,
Rudy

Back