Forging bevels

Leatherface

hey guys

I am having trouble forging my bevels...

I forge one side and then turn it over and work on the other side, and the side I just flipped over looks flat without any bevel line to speak of

AND I am making the metal bow up like a bananna

any tips or tricks or vids explaining how to do this correctly??

First of all, the blade will bow up like a bananna when you are forging the bevels in. You are stretching the steel progressively more as you forge to the edge and not moving the steel in the spine at all. It's just going to happen and is frequently seen on first attempts. To get around that you need to heat the blade just ahead of where the curve starts, I have better results laying the spine against the face of the anvil, and tapping the blade straight. The reason you don't heat the whole blade is that you want to keep the steel that has not curves as mush straight. If the curving is real bak you might have to work in sections until you have it the way that you want it.

You can use a hammer to do this but you can also make yourself what is called a thwacker (at least some of us call it a thwacker) out of wood. Some make them to look like a wooden club, which is basically what they are. I couldn't find a piece of wood stock that I wanted to carve down so I got a rough turned blank of apple wood about 4" in diameter and 5" long made for turning a vase from, drilled a hole in one end and glued a 3/4" wood dowel in. Basically it looks like a mall. The advantage to it is that it will have enough weight to move the steel but the wood will give and not dent it so much. It also comes in handy for straightening blades. I got the blank from a wood supplier who sells such things to wood turners.

As far as forging in the bevels, the way that you describe is how I do it and don't seem to have problems. Another was is to work the edges at and parallel to the edge of the anvil and at the same time raise the spine of the blade slightly off the surface of the anvil. There is no one way of doing many things in forging, just the way that it works for you.

Doug

Doug,
Thanks for your response...

really want nice clean forging lines but it doesnt seem like I am getting any better at the more I practice...I really need to take a class!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by nice clean forging lines but let me give you a few ideas of what might be causing excess hammer marks. One is height of your anvil. Stand straight by you anvil with you arms hanging at your side and you hand closed into a fist. This should be the height of your anvil. Higher or lower than that and you will have a harder time bringing the face of the hammer down flat on the work. Check the face of your hammer. There should be not sharp lines. If there are you will need to round them over. Also round over the edges. If you feel like you are tiring quickly you need to get a lighter hammer. You will get tired and loose control of the hammer if it is too heavy. Also try not to hit the steel as hard and go over it with softer blows once you have it shaped to work out the dents some.

You also need to take your time. I tried my first sword sized blade a few weeks back and I tried to push it instead of taking my time to work the steel the way it needed to be worked and I have real bad dings all over it. I'm still debating whether or not to add it to my oops pile (that's something like an aw (bleep) pile, only nicer) and start over or try to grind all those hammer marks out.

Doug

You can also forge a clip in. That will push your tip back down. Also you can pre bend your blade before forging in your bevels. Forge your tip in then put it over your horn and forge the the blade so the tip is lower. That way when you start forging the bevels it will bring the tip back up.

Doug and Jon,
Thanks for your replies...By clean lines, I am referring to the bevels that Tim Lively gets on his bowies just uusing a hammer...

Doug I am way lower than that..I have to squat down to use my anvil...I have one in the works that will be at the proper height, I just havent gotten around to building it as I didnt think it was a big deal..ok so that is something I can work on this weekend

I have rounded the edges of my hammers...just went and double checked them and they dont have any dings in them (well one did but I just fixed that)

yea i have an aw crap pile as well...I tend to give them away to friends and family to beat on...

Jon..my problem isnt the counter being or it bending up like a bananna..what is killing me is the metal bending up while I hammer in the bevels...I put a counter bend in when i first start and that works pretty well, but its bending up in the middle and I am thinking that I am hitting the piece wrong...

If you're comparing what you do with the way Tim Lively forges, we both have a long way to go. That man has incredible hammer control. The answere is practice, practic, practice.

Doug

Jon..my problem isnt the counter being or it bending up like a bananna..what is killing me is the metal bending up while I hammer in the bevels...I put a counter bend in when i first start and that works pretty well, but its bending up in the middle and I am thinking that I am hitting the piece wrong...

Do you mean that it is bending sideways (left or right of the side of the blade)? How thick is your stock? Is it possible that as you hammer the blade is not entirely flat against your anvil (in other words, you might be holding the back of the blade off the face, and hitting the middle, bending it)

yea thats what i mean

stock is 1/4" 1084...

yea that is prolly what i am doing...gonna have to beat some steel and see

I don't actually worry about that sideways curve in the blade. I just roughly straighten it out as I work it. After I have the blade formed I do my final straightneing. I use subcritical heats for that.

Doug

Make sure your piece is flat on the anvil. barely hold on to the stock and hit it on the anvil. if it bounces its not flat. Raise or lower your hand until when you hit it it doesn't bounce.

ok the flatness of the piece seems to be my weak link...I got to hammer a bit today before the gym but my bevels still dont look even...grrrr

I thank all of you for your help...hopefully I can get some time in this weekend to practice again and I will post the progress...yea I have one that is the "before"..lol
D

I am new to this and I am notable to figure out how long is the hook supposed to be? 20-30 cm?What is best? Inside or outside?
What is to be preferred for different kinds of hooks?

Jessica, happy to see you onboard. I love to see the ladys get involved in this. I'm not sure that I understand your quenstion. Would you clarify, please.

Doug

hey guys

I am having trouble forging my bevels...

I forge one side and then turn it over and work on the other side, and the side I just flipped over looks flat without any bevel line to speak of

AND I am making the metal bow up like a bananna

any tips or tricks or vids explaining how to do this correctly??

The very best video is Ed Cafrey's video, I think it's "The Basics of Bladesmithing", or something like that it addresses everything you mentioned, hi smethods are simple and very effective! Rex

Bill Moran put out a good one also. It's still available from the ABS store but it might be found on Amazon too. It just sticks in my mind that where I found it but it could be another store.

Doug

hey bro..I have that video...gonna have to rewatch it!

Thanks!
D

I'm fortunate enough to have a wonderful wife that bought it for me for Christmas! I've watched it a few times, lost count actually, not including rewinding and watching certain parts over and over, which really makes me want to watch it again, got to love DVD's, take care of them and the suckers won't wear out! Rex

Bill Moran put out a good one also. It's still available from the ABS store but it might be found on Amazon too. It just sticks in my mind that where I found it but it could be another store.

Doug

Doug,
You got a title? I'd love to watch him work!!! He's my old school favorite maker, so much so I named my shop cat Moran!! Rex

Back