Forging with natural gas

Austin Thrasher

Hey guys, does anyone know if natural gas is a viable option for forging instead of propane? The reason I ask is because my wife and I are buying a nice place with a house, garage, several outbuildings, and 9.25 acres. Back in the thirtys they came to the folks living in this area and said something along the lines of “Hey you have a natural rock tank 2000ft below and we are going to use it for natural gas storage. Do you want $1000 or free gas forever?” Some folks took the cash and those properties to this day have to pay for their gas usage. However, this one and also my parents property get the free gas. As long as everything is connected by one roof; the house, shop, and garage, gas is free and unlimited.
Yeah.... my utility bill is gonna drop dramatically.

Another cool thing about this place is that is right across the road from my knifemaking hero and mentor, Tony Bose so that’s pretty cool too!

Anyway, Im thinking this might be a decent option. What say ye?

I did some research on this a while back and was told something along the lines of you don't have enough pressure coming from the gas meter, but I'm not sure how that equates to your situation. I have seen some people do it, but I can't remember what steps they had to take. I believe there is a way if you're using a blown burner as opposed to a venturi style burner.

Oh and I forgot to add. That's awesome about Tony Bose. I met him at blade show a few years ago outside smoking when I used to smoke. He was a really nice guy and was awesome talking with him. He also makes a mean slip joint :)

Austin, I work for a natural gas company so I can tell you a few things to get the ball rolling, while I don't know anyone personally that has a natural gas forge I have read in the past of people doing it.

The main consideration is that natural gas has half the btu's of propane. the industry standard for natural is 1000 btu per cf.
I'm sure running higher pressure it should work...with a blower more than likely.

I don't know what your supply pressure is, in my town we have two systems, one is 5-7# and the other is 60# - these even cross each other through town, that's just how it's set up.

according to our company policy no more than 2# are allowed into a building. commercial - industrial buildings we allow 10# if all the pipe is steel and welded.

If your forge is outside you can run a higher pressure reg to it and have a seperate reg at the entrance to the house.
just remember this...if there is ever an accident and your insurance company is involved their going to be looking at the pressures your running, and where.

If it were me......you can't beat free gas, I'd make it work!
like I said I've seen it before. Brad Vice of Alabama Damascus runs natural. I believe he runs 10#.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I’ve got Brad’s number. I’ll have to give him a call when the time comes.
Jeremy, yessir. Tony is a great guy. Him and his son Reese have helped me out a lot.

It's really going to come down to the service line pressure the gas company is supplying to your house, and the size of your service line. some houses in my area have 5-7# on a 1/2" service line, while others have 3/4" or one inch. a few really big houses around Tampa Bay have 2" lines going to them, again, with either 5-7# or 60# feeding them.
That is just the system I work for though.

Some city's, older ones, actually have very large old cast iron mains that only supply 1/4 to 1/2 pound of line pressure, the size of their mains make up for pressure with volume.
the places with cast iron in their system are usually the ones with the most leaks and explosions.
we removed all of our cast iron in the last 8-10 years, some of it was originally installed in 1925.
back then -not 1925 ha ha- I was on the leak truck, going back year after year repacking bell joints with oakom and lead till we got it all replaced. I've even seen 2" threaded cast iron pipe. it's nasty anyway it comes after being in the ground for 50+ years. I've come to truly hate cast iron pipe. :(

Back