Frank Niro

Drew Riley

If there's a more appropriate place to post this, or if it has already been posted, mods please move or delete, but I figured I'd pass it along:

Unfortunately, I have just learned via a post on another forum that long time knife maker (and member of this forum), Frank Niro, has passed away.

I didn't know Frank personally, but every since I began to get into knife making and reading or posting on various forums, I can remember seeing Frank's posts and gleaned quite a bit from his contributions. I know he posted quite a bit on this forum, as well as othters, and was constantly making efforts to help other makers.

I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that he'll be missed.

RIP Mr. Niro.

I didn't know him well but, do remember discussing knife making with him. He would always lend you advice that was spot on! As soon as I saw the name, I thought there is a name I hadn't seen on the forum in a while! RIP Frank!!!

I met Frank a couple of times when I was teaching up in Canada, and really enjoyed his company. We'll be the lesser without him. My condolences to his family.

Frank's passing is a big loss to the knife making community. Frank Niro shared the single most valuable piece of advice I have ever gotten- which was to use Mobil 1 Synthetic for hand sanding. That one piece of advice alone had a huge positive impact on my process. It is invaluable to me.

I am not reducing Frank's memory to Mobil 1 oil. Please don't misunderstand me. I am saying that his selflessness in sharing tips to help his fellow makers is a testament to his good heart and his desire to share knowledge with others. Frank was a very good man, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to learn from him.

Frank's passing is a big loss to the knife making community. Frank Niro shared the single most valuable piece of advice I have ever gotten- which was to use Mobil 1 Synthetic for hand sanding. That one piece of advice alone had a huge positive impact on my process. It is invaluable to me.

I am not reducing Frank's memory to Mobil 1 oil. Please don't misunderstand me. I am saying that his selflessness in sharing tips to help his fellow makers is a testament to his good heart and his desire to share knowledge with others. Frank was a very good man, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to learn from him.

Yep, I remember seeing that tip posted by Frank a few times. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the first (if not THE first) to use ceramic glass as a platen backer, which is pretty much a standard now.

If there's a more appropriate place to post this, or if it has already been posted, mods please move or delete, but I figured I'd pass it along:

Unfortunately, I have just learned via a post on another forum that long time knife maker (and member of this forum), Frank Niro, has passed away.

I didn't know Frank personally, but every since I began to get into knife making and reading or posting on various forums, I can remember seeing Frank's posts and gleaned quite a bit from his contributions. I know he posted quite a bit on this forum, as well as othters, and was constantly making efforts to help other makers.

I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that he'll be missed.

RIP Mr. Niro.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Frank and I have been friends forever. He helped me edit my books. RIP, my old friend.

Aww... didn’t know him, but he sounds like good guy for sure. Can you even imagine posting something like this thread on any other forum? I sure can’t. Sometimes it takes the loss someone to realize how lucky we are to have the friends that we have. Thank you all for being the people you are. And thank you, Frank.

Back