Frankenstein 2x72 grinder - bounce ?

knosaj

It's sort of a freestyle version on the nwg but welded and pieced together from various parts. I am still trying to tinker with the alignment of the wheels but I have a air amount of bounce and wondering if there is a common cause of this.

My tensioner and 8" contact is from an old grizzly setup. When i turned it for the irst time and it was bouncing, I took off the old 8" ( thinking the machined bearing slots were not true, or the rubber was out of round for some reason ) and replaced it with a new 3" contact wheel to test. It still had some bounce. new drive wheel

This weekend I'm going to adjust a few things and get the alignment right.

I'm sure someone has experinced this. How did you fix it?

Thanks

Pics of it might help determine what is happening.
Not sure what you are referring to as "bounce".
The contact wheel it's self bounces, or the belt or the whole machine?

I'll post some pics later.

Well, if you check each piece separately it seems fine. It even grinds pretty good. But the tensioner rises and falls, or bounces. I've never seen this inn other grinders.

I was thinking maybe the abrasive belt is too tight that its slightly skewing the drive wheel shaft and pillow block. I'm not sure. I still have a bit of farting with it.

But, after a very long time of stalking these forums and wanting to be a knifemaker, I'm finally nearly there.

Is this a single speed or variable with multi stage pulleys. Does the bounce increase or decrease on different speeds? I'd start by checking the shaft from the pulley to drive wheel to make sure its straight and square to the rest of the machine.

Ok. Tinkered around with it tonight and got everything running GREAT!

Turned out I just needed to adjust the tensioner. I kind of mixed the nwg tensionr set up along with the top shaft / pulley from my old grizzly. Turned out the shaft was not at a 90 to the belt which I think was making it hop back over as the other two wheels tried to keep it straight.

whatever, it's running like a champ now.

The bad thing is that I bought the flat platen attachment from polar bear and with a 3" wheel on top, and the old 8" Griz wheel on bottom, the dang belt is to short.

Lol, should have held back on the "free-styling" during the build. I'll just have to grind out a small weld, move the back vertical forward and re set the pulley blocks a bit more forward. At least this time I'll have all the parts on hand when I'm back at assembly.

Thanks all.

Yes it's a single speed. It's from my old Griz. I think 1.5 hp. the step I have is a 1.5" back to a 5". Or something. It's been a while since I bought them. It runs it nice and slow but I think I'll add another step so I can speed it up and really take some material off.

Back