Friction folder questions.

Tod Lowe

I have decided to try and make some friction folders as christmas presents this year. I have read a few tutorials which were pretty good .None of them discussed the pins or screws.

If I use pins how is the friction adjusted? Wont it just eventually wear out until the blade flops around?

I plan on using screws. What kind and what size. I see most have the torx heads but what size for a small friction folder?

Any and all other tips or links to friction folder tutorials are appreciated.

Thanks.

I do quite a few FF, in a couple of different styles.One I do with antler with the tail pinned and one usually wood with a backspacer.I use Bronze bushings pressed into the blade, with .003" stainless washers and 1/8" pin stock for my pivot.Tension is done by peening.Dave:)

Here's two examples

axisFF2.jpg

axisFF3.jpg

bocoteFF1.jpg

bocoteFF4.jpg

Check with Dave at DC Knives. He has done a lot of them and all the ones that I have seen are great. I am sure he would be more than happy to help you out. Good luck with it.

Those are some awesome friction folders! Now I want to make some! :D

afbeelding097.jpg

Right after that slip joint..... to many things to do, not enough time! :(

I do quite a few FF, in a couple of different styles.One I do with antler with the tail pinned and one usually wood with a backspacer.I use Bronze bushings pressed into the blade, with .003" stainless washers and 1/8" pin stock for my pivot.Tension is done by peening.Dave:)

Here's two examples

axisFF2.jpg

axisFF3.jpg

bocoteFF1.jpg

bocoteFF4.jpg

Thanks for the info. I had seen your friction folders on your website when checking out the sheath tutorials. Great stuff man.:cool:
Thanks.

Those are some awesome friction folders! Now I want to make some! :D

afbeelding097.jpg

Right after that slip joint..... to many things to do, not enough time! :(

Thanks George and Cubane.
This is the main tutorial I was looking at but its a little vague on the hardware.
These do look sweet and somewhat do able for me.

Are these screws male/ female or do they have some kind of sleeve they both screw into from both sides?

Back