Frontier style fighter/bowie

SDS

Forum Owner-Moderator
I'm not really sure what category this would fall into. I think it could go either way between fighter or bowie. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The knife is 3/16" D2 with Alabama damascus guard and pommel, stag handle with a mild steel pin. The sheath is deerskin rawhide wrapped over a veg. tanned liner and stitched with linen cord and the welt is held with the addition of cut copper tacks. It has a beaver tail leather throat and dyed veg. tanned leather belt loop. It also has buckskin fringe with copper cones, horsehair and brass and glass beads.

Critiques are welcomed.

090-1.jpg

095.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

091.jpg

SDS

Shawn,
Iam not sure which I like better the knife or the sheath. Both are great and compliment each other nicely. Wade

Thanks guys. I have to acknowledge John Cohea for the tutorial and DVD that he sells for jumpstarting me on using rawhide. Even if I could have figured out a lot of it on my own he sure made the learning curve a lot shorter.

SDS

at first with look of the sheath, you think there is going to be this rugged looking frontier knife. then you pull it! It looks awesome.

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them.

Bootstrap, out of curiousity do you think the set would have "worked" better if the blade had a more rustic look to it?? Just asking so I can file the information away for future projects.

Thanks,
SDS

Back