Galvanized steel in the forge

52 Ford

Just in case any of yall don't know what zinc looks like when it burns, here's a picture I took earlier. I had some 1/4" steel that I needed to put some funny shapes in and it was galvanized. I knew this going into it... don't breath the fumes. Makes you sick.

The flames on the right side of the picture are zinc. The flames on the left are anthracite coal.

If you're wondering, I'm making a new set of climbing spurs. I have a big dead tree leaning over my road that I have to cut. I have to go maybe 15 feet up it to cut off a big limb so I can fell it without hitting a bunch of other stuff and climbing the tree is the safest way to get to the limb. The last pair of spurs I had weren't really comfortable and why spend $300 on something I can make for a couple dollars in scrap metal... :D I'm not an arborist, so I can't justify a set of fancy Buckinghams or whatever.

By the way, if you need climbing gear, Buckingham makes some good stuff. I have a Buckingham tower harness and I love it.

449e1f2712ec145f5cf23adc1f7194a9.jpg

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk

Fucking awesome. Edit: And don't sand it either without a respirator (something I've seen too many times).

Back