Game Cam

Jon Kelly

I checked on of my game cams today (ignore the inaccurate time stamp) and was surprised to see this guy. It's scat shows it to be feeding heavily on gut piles, which is pretty normal for this time of year. I saw a black bear about this size, or a bit bigger, yesterday a few miles down the road.

Attachments

• PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 39
Not sure where your from but, he looks like a healthy one! If he is feeding on gut piles he associates the downed deer with a meal!! Got bear tag???

As Fred Bear use to say if an acorn falls in the woods, the turkey sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it!

I would definitely be careful once you down a deer! An extra bear stopper on your side just in case you get caught flat footed, never liked not having an ace in the hole so to speak!!

I live in NW Montana pretty close to the Canadian border. That is a medium sized grizzly, of which we have a pretty healthy population. The only way to bag one of these is if it is actively attacking you, which kind of makes it not worth it, lol. This time of year they (and the black bears) are roaming far and wide in order to put on the pounds for winter. Oftentimes they tear into chicken coops at night and eat everything in there. They usually don't hang around and become problems unless people fail to take precautionary measures by removing attractants like garbage, bird feeders, etc. There isn't much more unnerving than having a 400lb bear trying to get into your house at 2am. (personal experience, lol) I have captured photos of several mountain lions on this same set over the last few weeks and I'm only about 4.5 miles from town.

Being from Canada just north of you in fact these grizz are quite common , this year with warm temps and forest fires everywhere the bear feed is thin , the usually berry crop is slim to none.....many many bear confrontations this year , good friend near lost his life to one bowhunting in sept.....bear populations both grizz and blacks are on the rise significantly...I can harvest 2 blacks per season but I do need a draw for a grizz , unless we come face to face while hunting then it's a different ball game all together , that's a healthy bear in pic , eating well it would appear....they funnel towards the apple orchards when the Mercury drops before denning up.....be safe out there !!

Last edited:
Being from Canada just north of you in fact these grizz are quite common , this year with warm temps and forest fires everywhere the bear feed is thin , the usually berry crop is slim to none.....many many bear confrontations this year , good friend near lost his life to one bowhunting in sept.....bear populations both grizz and blacks are on the rise significantly...I can harvest 2 blacks per season but I do need a draw for a grizz , unless we come face to face while hunting then it's a different ball game all together , that's a healthy bear in pic , eating well it would appear....the funnel towards the apple orchards when the Mercury drops before denning up.....be safe out there !!

Jon, sorry to hear about your friend, it just reinforces that, man is not at the top of the food chain in the real woods.

Black bears are bad enough to deal with at times. Sometimes we (man) contribute to the bear problems by not taking care of garbage properly or in some cases some fools think its OK to leave feed for them. There by letting the bear associate man and food hand in hand! We have encroached more and more on the only territory they have left.

Grizzlies on the other hand have a whole other mind set! There ain't much for them to fear except maybe another Grizzly! Back in the 70's in Yellowstone Park they had many attacks by bears and most were the result of problems with food and association to man. Although they had one grizzly that seemed to have a taste for killing man. He made three kills in one day if I remember correctly.

I love nature but have a healthy respect for those at the top of the food chain!!

Back