Good idea or no?

Daniel Macina

Howdy,

First off I am a proud ABS member and my ultimate goal is to forge all my knives. That being said I am scattered brained and always trying to save a buck. I ended up getting a charcoal forge trying to save a buck and simply put I am spending a ton of money and time cutting wood and making charcoal only to blow through it in a few hrs. Not to mention I hate using it! So instead of building the blown burner vertical forge I was going to do originally I went that route and absolutely regret it. I still have a 1 + 30 belt grinder from harbor freight that I don't like so I'm building a no weld grinder this coming week. I have not ground but maybe a handful of blades.

Now down to the whole reason I made the thread.

My plan at this point is to build the grinder and make 50 blades ready for HT then build the vertical forge to HT them. Is this a good idea or should I keep going with the forge? I just feel at this point I need to focus on one thing and expand to forging when the 50 blades are done.

Sorry if I got off topic. Like I said scatter brained.

Daniel.

Have you read the Build a Gas Forge attachment at the Forge Supplies page of my web-site? Also you might want to watch the video of Moe's Grinder on the Grinders page and then check out the DVD for instructions for how to build Moe's Grinder on the DVDs page.

Let me know if I can help you.

Unless a person is independently wealthy, building your shop/tools is an ongoing thing. When it comes to funding, we all have to work within our means, and you have to do a bit here, and a bit there until you can acquire the tools.

A person has to do what they have to do, but speaking from experience, I can only tell you that it is well worth it to save your money and buy yourself a "top end" grinder. NOTHING, will improve your knives faster. If you're exceptional at fabricating, you can produce a passable grinder, but I find that most overestimate their own skills when it comes to a project of this scope.

If you're intent is to be a Bladesmith (forge your blades), I can't say I agree with building 50 knives idea. That is IF the intent is to build them via stock removal. The methodologies are very different, and by the time you build 50 knives via stock removal, your ideology and methods will be tuned to that method, and you'll have to learn all over once you try to revert to forging. On the other hand, you would likely be a leg up on the grinding aspect of the making process.

Wayne Coe yes I have read the forge building section and have also looked into the MOE grinder looks like a awesome set up.

Mr Caffery, thank you. You have given me a lot to think about.

Back