Grinder vibration test

Drew Riley

As some of you know, I recently designed and built my own grinder. Over the past few days, I've seen at least a couple of "vibration tests" using nickels, so I figured I try one myself.
Then I thought I'd turn it up a notch...

Couple of notes: Grinder is at full speed (2x setting on an 1800 RPM for 3600 RPM), and I decided to use a flat platen instead of the typical 8" or 10" contact will, as you get a little more surface area contact with the belt, it's more prone to belt bump as it goes over the platen, and there are twice as many bearings. In other words, if you're gonna see vibration, I imagine you'll see more in a flat platen than a contact wheel. I may be wrong, but that's the thinking. In reality, it's probably negligible if there's any difference at all.

Also, note that the grinder is on a $40 import pedestal that's not exactly "sturdy", and the motor is an import and probably the cheapest 3 phase motor you can buy, so if this thing was gonna vibrate, it'd be vibrating.

I'll let the video speak for itself:

[video=youtube;blKD9m5Fv34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blKD9m5Fv34[/video]

Now, does this mean much in the grand scheme of things? I don't know. I will say that I'm very impressed with the wheels I got from eBay (VWJackStraw, if I recall the name correctly), and for a cheap motor, I'm not disappointed.

One more use for superglue.:biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist. That's a great demonstration of a well built machine, congrats!

One more use for superglue.:biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist. That's a great demonstration of a well built machine, congrats!

I debated gluing some coins hanging off the side, or underneath... ;)

Glue would have certainly made balancing the dime and penny easier! All that air blowing from the fan motor and the belt movement didn't help either. :D

Back