Grinding a swedge?

Justin Presson

Ok guys have a question for ya.
What is the best way or your technique on grinding in a swedge on a clip point?
What tool to use, before or after heat treat. I'm using 3/16 stock.
JP

Yes, the false edge/swedge. I have ground them no problem on a blade with a straight profile in that area but not with the up swept clip point profile like are on these bowies.
20190324_095444.jpg

I've seen guys grind the recurve swedge on a contact wheel while holding the knife almost vertical. Scribing center lines will help keep it even.
Other wise, you can use the corner of the belt and "sweep" it in, as if you were grinding on a regular recurve.

I've seen guys grind the recurve swedge on a contact wheel while holding the knife almost vertical

This is also how I've seen an ABS mastersmith do it on a 8" contact wheel. He also scribed a line for the bottom of the bevel on each side identically so he had a line to work down to.

I usually do mine post heat treat, after finish grinding and after 90% of hand sanding.

I do mine entirely free hand on the flat platen with the blade held perpendicular to the belt....so the blade is horizontal(just like grinding the main bevels) in my case, with the cutting edge down.

I do a little at a time on each side, checking symmetry as I go. Very rarely necessary for me, but they can be evened up and flattened with draw filing with a quality small flat file.

Their ways are better than mine. The only way I have been able to get it right is by using the edge of the platen like I grind a Karambit.

Back