Gut Hook Skinner

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
A good friend of mine has requisitioned a Skinner with a Gut Hook. I've never attempted this before, but I think I'm off to a good start...

This plus a boning knife has put my Bowie on the back burner...

20220717_140040.jpg20220717_140048.jpg20220717_140029.jpg

Looking good - I sure do hate those gut hooks.... well, maybe "hate" is too strong a word. Sometimes it's hard to get the gut hook as sharp as I wish.

Looking good - I sure do hate those gut hooks.... well, maybe "hate" is too strong a word. Sometimes it's hard to get the gut hook as sharp as I wish.

Thanks! I haven't even figured that part out yet. I have some chainsaw files. I think I might need a ceramic rod or two as well.

On your next one you should make the hook a little wider CD. for anything other than thin skinned whitetails that hook might not cut too good.
especially hogs that are all mucked up with dirt and mud. I use a round file to start it but then go back with diamond files to thin out the radius and get as much cutting surface in there as possible.
I don't think anyone likes making them though they are a serious pain to me, here's one I made a while back...and I just finished another last week.
I'll post a picture of it after I make the sheath sometime this week
OPnOTbT.jpg

On your next one you should make the hook a little wider CD. for anything other than thin skinned whitetails that hook might not cut too good.
especially hogs that are all mucked up with dirt and mud. I use a round file to start it but then go back with diamond files to thin out the radius and get as much cutting surface in there as possible.
I don't think anyone likes making them though they are a serious pain to me, here's one I made a while back...and I just finished another last week.
I'll post a picture of it after I make the sheath sometime this week
OPnOTbT.jpg

Thanks for the info. It's always good to hear from someone with experience. I'd love to see some close ups of both sides of the gut hook!

Thanks! I haven't even figured that part out yet. I have some chainsaw files. I think I might need a ceramic rod or two as well.
For sharpening stuff like that, I usually end up wrapping sandpaper onto a file or a dowel.

If you want something fancier than that, I suggest looking into stuff for sharpening carving tools and lathe tools.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I now use a 1/2” small wheel on the 2 x 72 to grind my gut hooks. I go to a 600 grit belt, then use a 1/2” aluminum rod I made wrapped with 800 grit paper to sharpen the gut hook.

I must be the odd one who likes making gut hooks. One trick is to start with a raised spine to grind the gut hook into. E8AA9D85-3861-4F1A-849B-9797FB84DE37.jpeg

I now use a 1/2” small wheel on the 2 x 72 to grind my gut hooks. I go to a 600 grit belt, then use a 1/2” aluminum rod I made wrapped with 800 grit paper to sharpen the gut hook.

I must be the odd one who likes making gut hooks. One trick is to start with a raised spine to grind the gut hook into. View attachment 81231

Thanks so much for the info! I also found your KITH WIP on the gut hook knife. Very informative!

I'm not doing any more work on my blade until I heat treat. The customer seems to like what I've got so far.

We'll see how it comes along. Heat treating tomorrow night...

Back