Hand filing swedges

Colin

So a good friend asked me to make him a knife, then he decided he wanted three so he could gift the other two to his brothers, cool, my first sale :cool: so I found a design he liked and got to work. added swedges, on the first side, it turned out just how I wanted, unfortunately getting the other side even has proven to be an exercise in frustration. My question is should I file the swedges before the main bevels? I’m filing these in on a gough style filing jig. The picture is of the first one I did that I am satisfied with.44C14E5C-6429-4D9C-8785-153DCB0B3F65.jpeg

At least when using a grinder, I will grind swedges after the main bevels are finished and taken to final finish. This keeps the swedges crisp. Your grinds there look really good, maybe try finishing your main bevels first?

At least when using a grinder, I will grind swedges after the main bevels are finished and taken to final finish. This keeps the swedges crisp. Your grinds there look really good, maybe try finishing your main bevels first?
Thank you, I was thinking if I did the swedge first, when I filed The bevel it would push the swedge up to the tip but you’ve cleared that up for me, thank you.

I tent to do the swedges kind of in the middle. Rough bevels, swedges and then bring the bevels up. But I dot hem mostly on the grinder with a flat or convex platen.

Back