Hand Rubbed G10

izafireman

Just hand rubbed G10 scales which look lovely. Is there anything I need to coat them with or just leave them bare?

Cheers

Thanks...I don't have True Oil, though I used it once on a gun stock and found it full of hardeners so I was put off it. Is there anything else I would need to use or just leave it?

Thanks for the replies. I was really surprised with how good it turned out, I will still try the Wd40 tomorrow..thanks

When you use Tru-Oil on a knife scale you rub in, then wipe off all the excess and let dry. Repeat as many coats to get the desired amount of gloss. Just a couple of coats leaves a pretty decent matt finish that is more like "in" the wood rather than "on top" of the wood the way a high number of layers built up for a gloss finish.

G10 is not all the same. Some has large weave glass mat (it's basically fiberglass) some has smaller weave and better penetration of resin (pre-peg epoxy really) into the mat than others. Anything that can soak into the fibers and then harden will work. Usually I just buff it with green chrome or pink no scratch compound.

This will come off as a sales pitch (disclaimer: I sell it, so do others) and it's not. Ultrex G10 from Norplex has a much smaller weave (and fiber size) than most anything I've found. It also has pretty good resin penetration. Sand and buff it and it will look great. I won't use any other G10 now.

Back