Handle file work question

Kayakersteve

When filing a design into the tang of a knife, does the epoxy for the scales fill the voids made by filing? In this photo, the black area that has been filed looks like epoxy?? If so, do people color/dye it?

Note ... To give credit for photo. Was taken from Rocket a Knives and can give link if allowed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 83
Yeah it's epoxy filled. You can buy epoxy dye or use black india ink or something similar to color it. You can find india ink at your local craft or hobby store. It's cheaper than the epoxy dyes by quite a bit.

Mix it in the cup while you're mixing your epoxy. A little goes a LONG way. Only a drop or two if dye is needed.

I use black Testors model paint in mine. Just a tiny bit on the tip of my mixing toothpick is plenty. Be sure you physically put glue in the file cuts. If you just glue everything up and hope that the squeezed out glue will fill it evenly, you'll end up with bubbles in some of your cuts.

I save saw dust from the wood that goes on the handle and mix it into the epoxy to use as a filler for the file work.

Back