Handle reshape?

IanF

I recently cut and profiled this blank and have had it heat treated (12C27) but now that I am playing with it getting ready to grind the blade it seems pretty uncomfortable so I am thinking of reshaping the handle. The intention is to use this knife as a general food prep slicer and the lower portion of the handle is not comfortable when I grip it in the kind of half pinch grip/overhand style this knife calls for (I'm sorry I have no idea on how to describe holding a knife!). It is the "point" at the bottom end of the knife handle - to my eye it looked right but to my hand it doesn't feel right.

Soooo, attached is the pic and red lines are where I think I might remove some steel. I'd be interested in your thoughts. Of course I already have the pin holes drilled so need to consider keeping the end pin centered for aesthetics.

blank.jpg

I would say that you need to leave the top of the handle as it is so you hand is kept high and away from the cutting board but it might not hurt to relieve the bottom rear edge a little although try it incrementally rather than taken all that off at one grinding.

It may feel completely different with scales on it. Aside from that, I completely agree with Gruff. I wouldn’t touch the top at all and I’d relieve the bottom edge very slightly until it felt right.

what they said^....do not touch the top. In fact erase that top line and stare at it a bit...lovely. (jmo)

BTW...that blade shape is AMAZING! nice job.

Hey thanks guys for the valuable feedback. I’ll go slowly on the bottom side and keep the top as is. I’ll post up my progress with this one and hope to turn out a decent knife.

I would just round over that bottom corner without changing the overall profile. It wil take the sharp corner off and yet still give lots of control in use.

Quick update, have the bevels ground and hand sanding complete. Scales are gluing up now so hope to get this one finished this week. The handle could be great or a real let-down as I tried something new. I'll post some pics so you see what I mean once the epoxy is dry.

Attachments

• handsand.jpg
    handsand.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 9
OK guys this one is getting closer to done but once again I am looking for input. I'm kind of excited by this handle material since its something I have wanted to do for ages and I certainly wasn't sure how it would turn out. This is my first attempt at making tartan micarta and I couldn't find anyone who had done it before so whilst I am sure it has been done it doesn't seem so popular. I think I am going to be doing more experimenting with it. I have very strong ties to Scotland so there is a very real connection and I just think it is kinda cool.

Now advice - as I hand sanded the handle I was obviously breaking rough layers so you get that kind of older almost dirty look in places (which I actually like) but you also get areas that are more fibers of material versus areas of epoxy and I am thinking that a finish of some kind as a bit of a sealer or wax may be best. So any recommendations for this kind of material to finish?

There are a few areas needing attention yet so it isn't finished but I just wanted to share where I'm at so far.

Thanks for looking!
Ian

Attachments

• handle1 sml.jpg
    handle1 sml.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 16
  • handle2 sml.jpg
    handle2 sml.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 17
  • handle3 sml.jpg
    handle3 sml.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 17
I love it!

As to the dryer/rough looking areas after sanding. Think of it like fiberglass. The rough area can be re-wetted with another layer of any coating which will act as a clear-coat. A coat of Tru-Oil may work. I have had some success with getting it to cure on just about any dry surface. CA also works but it is a lot of work to get a good CA glue finish on anything rough because each CA layer is so thin. Tru-Oil builds up very quickly. A quick buff with 0000 steel wool between coats will give you a very clear, deep finish.

That handle has come out very nicely and with just the easing of the underside rear is as good as it gets. The tartan micarta has added a nice touch to the visual and about the only way to reduce the effect you have mentioned is to use thinner material in its makeup. Next time you could try photocopying the tartan material and them making the handle from multiple sheets. I just made up handle material from 36 layers of 80gm paper to get handles .135 thick to go over liners (on steak knives) and I am sure it would work with the tartan as well

Back