Handle spacer material

Fatstrat

As I posted on the introduction forum, what I do is reburbish, and occasionally customize WW-2 Camillus & KA BAR USMC knives that I buy in poor condition. Which of course have stacked leather handles. On some of the customized ones, I like to add spacers in the handles to jazz up the looks a bit. I make my spacers out common plastic items. Such as the bottoms of 5 gallon buckets. Or even oil bottles for real thin ones. So far they seem to work OK. Wondering what cheap common material you might use.

Mainly G10 from the same source. Sometimes thin brass from a salvage yard in town.
.080 thick. I have also dyed some of my leather darker to create contrasting colors.

I have used pieces of a vertical blind as spacer material. It comes in a great many colors. Just don't let your mother-in-law see you take a few pieces.

Buckets ,jugs,plastic lids, things that are free to me and useful but, junk to others.

Kids toys come in a rainbow of colors.
When my kids were little there were always busted toys laying around. Fisher-Price supplied a lot of spacers. Busted snow skiis made a lot of pairs of knife scales too.

Rudy

I've made some out of black plastic auto inner fender/bumper plastic found on side of road at wreck sites. It's made to withstand weather, but doesn't shine up very well. You gotta have a band saw to saw out flat pieces where they can be found.

Back