Harbor freight bandsaw mod

Justin Presson

I have been in the need for a bandsaw really bad but like most new knife makers on a tight budget. So today I had the day off work and it was payday so off to HF I went. Picked up the Porta band with 25% off coupon in hand checked out at a total of $62.24 + tax and I was on my way home.
Took me 2 hours to redneck modify it to the upright position and I was ready to cut all the wood and hardware I had laying around. like others have said the blade that comes with it sucks mine jumps a bit when the blade joint comes around so I will be getting a good blade for it but I'm pretty happy with it so far.
Still going to make some improvements like a metal work rest but for now it works.
Just wanted to share :D
une3y2uq.jpg

ahaqydav.jpg

yjysudad.jpg

Justin,
You did a great job on the redneck mod! LOL. I wouldn't change a thing. Having a wood table smooths out chatter. Also keep a chunk of an old candle or any clump of wax to dress the blade with. It helps cool things down and cut a little smoother.

If that blade doesn't cut well get a Lennox or Norse replacement.

Nice job! I myself use a Milwaukee portaband all I do is lock the upper handle in my bench vise and use a clamp on the triger.It has a small work table and that works for me.I would not want to be without it and your going to love yours to.

Great redneck ingenuity! If it works why fix it. I have a Milwaukee and love it. I use a Morse 811 blade with 16-18 tpi. Cuts just about anything I throw at it.

I like your solution. Simple and it works!

I have been using mine for about a year and a half now and it is still going strong. I didn't make such a nice table and stand for mine just a 1/4" plate for the table and some angle screwed to the handle. I just clamp it in my vise when I need it. The only complaint I have with it is that sucker is LOUD.

My first HF saw lasted about 2 years before the guides went bad. I had bought the warranty so they replaced it with no hassle. I've had good success with Starrett blades.

I have an old Carolina HD10 band saw , old as dirt but still works and gets by. Made a platen for the vertical operation.

Way to go Justin, that's gonna save you some time. The general rule for tooth count is 3 teeth per inch of thickness. For example, 1" stock = 3 TPI, 1/2" stock = 6 TPI, so on and so on. Having said that, I usually buy the 18 TPI and use them for everything. If you use a low TPI blade on thin stock it tends to shear off teeth and once you start shearing off teeth the blade wont last long. Don't forget that your blades need to be broken in. Run them without cutting for about 5 min. and then after that use light pressure for approx. the first 10-15 minutes of use. After that you're good to go.

Thanks for the tips Darrin. I had no idea about breaking them in.

Another word of advice, don't cut a tight radius, once you put a warp on that blade it will always tend to cut in that direction and you will have to hold the piece at an angle to cut a straight cut. Instead cut a straight line and do the radius with a grinder or a dremmel. Saves the warped blade which you will cuss from then on!

You're gonna love that saw and dream of a better one. I still have my HF saw and use it from time to time. I bought a Milwaukee and it does a nice job at half the decibels.

Back