Hardness question

J.Leclair

Hey dogs, I've got a batch of blades that will be heading to heat treatment tomorrow. Among them is my first kitchen chopper/cleaver. I used 2"x 3/16" 440c and it is 11.5" long from tip to tail with a 5.5" handle. My question is regarding what rc I should be asking for as the customer told me he wants it for chopping through turkey bones. Here are some pics of it

J I would ask for it to be in the 57-58rc range if want to do a lot of bone chopping. 440c is a very tough steel and wouldn't worry too much about chipping on bones in the kitchen though. If ask for any less hardness than that you will start sacrificing edge holding, which goes down hill rapidly with 440c as it is a lower carbon SS.

I agree with Ausbrooks. Always remember that hardness isn't the only factor. Edge geometry is very important as well. I prefer to run a steel as hard as possible (within reason) and control chipping with geometry. I always grind a knife slightly thinner than I think it needs to be and if it chips out during testing I sharpen the chip out making the edge a little stronger/tougher. Sooner or later the knife will "find" the proper geometry for its intended task.
I hope that makes sense.

I left he edge a bit thicker than I would have with a slicer. I left it just a bit thicker than a dime (the batteries in my micrometer were dead when I went to check)

Back