Harness Jack WIP

K R Johnson

Here's a new pattern I'm making..........

I spent some time looking at Harness Jack threads on the forums and now I'm building a prototype.
Many thanks to Charlie Campagna and Ken Erickson for their assistance.
Questions and comments are welcome.

After drawing paper patterns I glued then to sheet steel to make some permanent patterns. I made a punch blade first and used a 1/8" ball end mill to make the groove.

Surface grinding the blades and springs

Cutting the long nail pull

Blades and springs surface ground and heat treated

The liners after milling, and the stag I plan to use for scales.

Last edited:

K R Johnson

Two steps forward and one back today. After spending some time fitting the stag I decided it was too thick so I can't use it. I 'm going to use some bone jigged as close as I can get them to the scales on an old Union Cutlery hunter I have.

I ground the master blade bevels, the pile side of the punch and ground the nail nick on the mark side of the punch.

K R Johnson

Made some good progress today. I got the scales installed, swedged the master blade, threaded the bolster and inlet the shield. If all goes well I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Denny Eller

Ya done good, Keith. That folder looks great and I thing the jigged bone looks just as good as the stag would have. Please show it finished!

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
I have a question Mr. Johnson. After you milled the liners, I assume you used some kind of cutting oil, how do you remove the oil. What cleaner can you use?

K R Johnson

I finished the harness jack today.

Thanks for watching, thanks for the comments, enjoy the photos.
As always, comments are welcome. Keith

Last edited:

K R Johnson

I have a question Mr. Johnson. After you milled the liners, I assume you used some kind of cutting oil, how do you remove the oil. What cleaner can you use?
I used a carbide end mill and no cutting oil. For cleanup, I use acetone for some things but when I really want to de-grease something I use denatured alcohol.

Last edited:

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
Impeccable workmanship on this one as well. I canT see all the WIP pictures for some reason. I wanted to see how you cut the long pull too. Do you dye your own bone?

chisumr

Keith,

That harness jack looks great. Reminds me of the old Charlie Campagna S&M Model 85 Harness Jacks. Jigged bone looks better than stag to me. How much are you asking for it?

Mark Behnke

Good looking knife, thanks for showing.
A couple of questions, I've had trouble keeping parts attached securely on my mag chuck and noticed what looks like glue on yours?
I'm new to slippys and have yet to cut a pull or nail nick and haven't seen one extend into the tang.
After another look it appears to be coolant at the surface grinder?

Thanks Mark

Last edited: